Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the clutches and TCM flashed on my 2015 in Feb 2018 at 34k. Been acting up for a while, finally scheduled an appointment at 40k and they flashed the TCM again. The DCT is only slipping 50 rpm per the test, so no need to replace clutches again. Seems to shift better than last winter. So, was there a new version of the software, or did the TCM just forget something from the previous flash?

·
Registered
770 Posts
I can’t answer any of your questions, but I can share my experience. My TCM failed on my ‘13 Hatch last summer. I lost all power & reverse. The TCM was obviously replaced however my car drives no better than it did before the replacement. It still shudders constantly & the shifting points are very odd & quirky. So Ford basically just fixed what broke, they didn’t improve the drivability of my car.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago & I took it in again for shuddering on acceleration. Their transmission technician agreed & recommenced new clutch packs however Ford won’t cover it under warranty based on the 5yr powertrain warranty expired in Nov. ‘18. They wanted $2,200 out of pocket & my car has only 38k miles. Ford customer service is a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hmmm. Weird, that my '12 got new clutch packs and TCM under warranty, but then I'm in Canada. The warranty on both had been extended, as well as the transmission input shaft seals. They also replaced the clutch forks as they said they were "rusted and sticking" which was not covered under warranty.

I did not have any notable shudder. Driveability seemed fine to me, until something went "bang" as I was pulling away from a light, and it started shifting worse them my 14 year old daughter the first day I took her out to teach her to drive stick. (In the Supra with a 6 puck racing clutch.) No reverse was an unpleasant surprise when I couldn't back out of the parking space that I'd pulled into to check things, but I could make it go forwards well enough to drive it back to the dealership.

So after all the stuff was replaced, it seems to drive the same to me.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I can’t answer any of your questions, but I can share my experience. My TCM failed on my ‘13 Hatch last summer. I lost all power & reverse. The TCM was obviously replaced however my car drives no better than it did before the replacement. It still shudders constantly & the shifting points are very odd & quirky. So Ford basically just fixed what broke, they didn’t improve the drivability of my car.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago & I took it in again for shuddering on acceleration. Their transmission technician agreed & recommenced new clutch packs however Ford won’t cover it under warranty based on the 5yr powertrain warranty expired in Nov. ‘18. They wanted $2,200 out of pocket & my car has only 38k miles. Ford customer service is a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've heard different numbers. I would shop around and try a different dealer. I've also heard as low as $1200 (yes, low, it is a transmission part after all)

If I ever have to replace the clutches (normal lifespan on Tom's tune) this is what I'm gonna do.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts