Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, everybody. New here...

I was given a 2012 Focus after that stupid TCM started malfunctioning. It is out of the extended warranty, but everything that isn't the TCM appears to be in really good shape. I decided to get it running again and give it to my daughter.

The way I see it, I have 3 options and I'd like y'all's opinion on which is the best pick.

- I did a price check and found that the dealership will replace it and program it for around $900. Not too shabby, considering I got the thing for free.

- I also know I can get an unprogrammed one for less than a third of that price and have the dealership program it for an extra hundred or two. But, I'd have to install it and get it towed over to the dealership to be programmed.

- And for the third option, I know I can get a TCM from a salvage yard for an even better price. This option tickles my brain a bit. Is it possible to call somebody to have the S/N from a TCM run to see when it was purchased and what update was last installed? Also, as part of the programming, does the vehicles VIN number get included in the program to ensure the part is only usable in the vehicle it was installed and programmed in?

Has anybody done the replacement themselves? How difficult/complicated was the task?

Thanks in advance...

·
FF Affiliate
30,237 Posts
I would call to see what Ford will charge to install your new one and program , then see what you can find a new one for ebay has some and make the decision from there

I wouldnt do a used one

Tom

1 - 2 of 2 Posts