Focus Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
1,100 Posts
It's good that you told them to get the TCM.
You have a new updated clutch and you're about to get a new updated TCM. That bodes well for the car's next 100k miles. Is this the first TCM being put in the car?
I also had a new clutch and TCM replaced a bit over a year ago. The whole trans was gone thru actually. 47k miles later and it's been very reliable. I have 168k miles on my 2012 and it's cost me barely anything in repairs in that time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's good that you told them to get the TCM.
You have a new updated clutch and you're about to get a new updated TCM. That bodes well for the car's next 100k miles. Is this the first TCM being put in the car?
I also had a new clutch and TCM replaced a bit over a year ago. The whole trans was gone thru actually. 47k miles later and it's been very reliable. I have 168k miles on my 2012 and it's cost me barely anything in repairs in that time.
Yes this will be my 1st tcm replacement.. just got a update that by next week I will get a time when the tcm will be into the dealer.. this is coming from a actual Ford rep in Michigan..I called bitching’ about not being able to get a loaner so have been getting updates every Monday.. the number I called to get a case started (800) 392-3673 otherwise yeah I like the car and have had no other problems

·
Registered
106 Posts
Focus-philes,

Update: Success! A new TCM was installed today and we have our Focus back! Actually, it has been hibernating in our garage until Monday morning when it was towed to the dealer. Spouse reports that it is running well and "shifts crisply". We are delighted to have the car back and in top form.

I hope all of you who are waiting for a TCM will be rewarded with a swift delivery of one and your Focus will be quickly returned to great shifting for a long time to come.

Thanks, again, to all the great forum members who provided solid advice as well as words of consolation. :)

Chris

·
Registered
2014 Focus SE Hb & 2018 Focus SE Sedan
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Got it back today, a couple of days short of 8 weeks after I dropped it off. Drives like a dream; much smoother than it ever was. Part number on the new TCM is AE8Z-7Z369-F

The Dealer's lot was nearly bare, likely for the same reasons the TCM took so long to arrive...

Cheers,
Rod

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Good to hear that you finally got it back. This newest TCM version should be pretty reliable. I've had only a few minor hiccups since mine was replaced right before Covid happened.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Focus-philes,

Update: Success! A new TCM was installed today and we have our Focus back! Actually, it has been hibernating in our garage until Monday morning when it was towed to the dealer. Spouse reports that it is running well and "shifts crisply". We are delighted to have the car back and in top form.

I hope all of you who are waiting for a TCM will be rewarded with a swift delivery of one and your Focus will be quickly returned to great shifting for a long time to come.

Thanks, again, to all the great forum members who provided solid advice as well as words of consolation. :)

Chris
Focus-philes,

Chris
When did you get out in the list I have been waiting for about 2 months now and I'm carless and have been struggling what did you do to get one :(?

·
Registered
2014 Focus SE Hb & 2018 Focus SE Sedan
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It took a couple of days shy of 8 weeks for mine to arrive after I dropped the car off at the dealer. When I dropped it off, there were six cars ahead of me at that particular dealer. I had checked in once after a month and they were able to give me a forecast as to when it should be fixed, which was pretty accurate.
Once it arrived they had it installed within a couple of hours...

Cheers, Rod

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
When did you get out in the list I have been waiting for about 2 months now and I'm carless and have been struggling what did you do to get one :(?
Someone posted on here recently about calling a few Ford dealers and finding out which one had the least amount of cars on that particular waiting list. They chose the one with the least amount of others waiting so they would have the least amount of wait time at that particular dealer. This would've needed to be done at the very beginning though.
If you've been waiting for 2 months then you should be up real soon unless there's a crazy long list at your dealer.
I would call them and get an eta and find out how many people are ahead of you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Someone posted on here recently about calling a few Ford dealers and finding out which one had the least amount of cars on that particular waiting list. They chose the one with the least amount of others waiting so they would have the least amount of wait time at that particular dealer. This would've needed to be done at the very beginning though.
If you've been waiting for 2 months then you should be up real soon unless there's a crazy long list at your dealer.
I would call them and get an eta and find out how many people are ahead of you.
Okay thank you my car is currently at my house cause I didn't know I could leave it there I thought I would be taking up space at their dealership

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The fact that your car isn't there wouldn't make them particularly motivated to call you if your position in line came up. If it's not on their lot it's not in their way and thus not inconveniencing them. Most people leave them at the dealer.
I'd drive it there, hand them the keys, and tell them to call you when it's fixed. Find out when the TCM will be in. 2 months is at the very tail end of wait times.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Crybaby Trash,

Like rschaffter (Rod) said, our wait was about 7.5 weeks. I had the car towed to our house so it was in the garage but I stopped by every week to 10 days to check in with the Service Advisors. The last time I stopped in, I had a case number from Ford so the S/A went to check with the Warranty Manager. He came back and said, "Warranty Manager says Ford does not even open his e-mails and he has sent many case numbers to them. S/A went to the Parts Manager to check on part status and, lo and behold, two TCMs were scheduled for delivery so my S/A tagged one for our Focus! Had the car towed to the dealer and the next day, we had our baby back in tip-top order.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. I suggest that you call the Service Department (or the Service Manager) and tell him you are carless and it has been +8 weeks, your car is at your house, and ask for an update. I don't know if they have a loaner available but you can ask and tell them that you have had to either pay for a rental or get rides from friends adn family and it is not reasonable to continue this way. Nice and calm tone (the dealer does not have much control about parts from what the Service Advisors told me) and see what they can do for you. And call them weekly so you're ticket is fresh in their minds. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."

Good luck, CBT, and please post an update about progress.

Chris

Reactions: Cobrajet67

·
Registered
3 Posts
Been lurking the forums since dropping my 2013 at the dealership with a P090C code. Told it was the TCM. It needed replacing but can drive until the part comes in. Mentioned it wouldn’t go into reverse. The response: “Just don’t park where you need to back up.” My response: “you mean like my driveway?”
Needless to say I was without a car since July 12th. Finally got a loaner August 23rd. And funny… my car was fixed by September 1st. Just picked it up yesterday. Seems a little sluggish right now but that could be from sitting for 7 weeks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Nasnell,

Welcome to the forums, northern Focus brother. Glad to hear your Focus is on the road again. We were about 7.5 weeks before ours was fixed. Kinda like Ford psychiatrists figured out that 7 weeks is how long customers will wait before erupting. :D

Get some miles on her and post an update. My understanding is that the latest clutch pack and strategy for the TCM are the combination for a great performing DCT. Let's hope that holds for us.

Cheers,

Chris

Reactions: Cobrajet67

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nasnell,

Welcome to the forums, northern Focus brother. Glad to hear your Focus is on the road again. We were about 7.5 weeks before ours was fixed. Kinda like Ford psychiatrists figured out that 7 weeks is how long customers will wait before erupting. :D

Get some miles on her and post an update. My understanding is that the latest clutch pack and strategy for the TCM are the combination for a great performing DCT. Let's hope that holds for us.

·
Registered
7 Posts
On week 6 with the tcm faulting out… luckily I have been able to clear the code and she drives fine until it errors again..11 out of twelve times it faulted on startup.. I clear the code then good for 100 plus miles…. Hopefully soon they have no loaners available.. it’s nuts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Nasnell,

Cheers,

Chris
I wouldn't quite say great but I would say pretty good and certainly acceptable. I get some very light shuddering on occasion usually when it's hot but considering that much of the trans internals are largely based off of a manual trans design I can accept it as a very minor nuisance. My trans is largely free of glitches though so I'm overall pleased.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
On week 6 with the tcm faulting out… luckily I have been able to clear the code and she drives fine until it errors again..11 out of twelve times it faulted on startup.. I clear the code then good for 100 plus miles…. Hopefully soon they have no loaners available.. it’s nuts
Have you called the dealer about it?
It may need a reflash or perhaps you got a bad TCM. These newer ones should be decent.
What's the code?

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's what I did, for about 6-7 weeks, until it completely died on the interstate and needed a tow home. The car won't start now, so in the driveway it sits waiting for the dealer to get the part, which I've been waiting for since the beginning of June. Which reminds me, time to call them again to see where I am in the queue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes this will be my 1st tcm replacement.. just got a update that by next week I will get a time when the tcm will be into the dealer.. this is coming from a actual Ford rep in Michigan..I called bitching’ about not being able to get a loaner so have been getting updates every Monday.. the number I called to get a case started (800) 392-3673 otherwise yeah I like the car and have had no other problems
Thank you for providing the number you called to get a case started...curious, did you develop patience of steel while waiting to be connected to a human?

We purchased a 2014 Focus for our 16 y/o after months of searching for a car. We probably should have done more research before purchasing this one- had it 6 entire days before the TCM needed to be replaced. We are in the endless waiting game, but I find it hard to believe that they can't at least give an 'estimated' time frame for repair.

Does anyone have any information? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
We purchased a 2014 Focus for our 16 y/o after months of searching for a car. We probably should have done more research before purchasing this one- had it 6 entire days before the TCM needed to be replaced. We are in the endless waiting game, but I find it hard to believe that they can't at least give an 'estimated' time frame for repair.

Does anyone have any information? Thanks.
Because of the chip shortage they can't/won't give you an estimated time. It would only get a customer angrier after waiting for weeks if it didn't come in when the Ford dealer was hoping. They're just trickiling in after all. Going by everybody else a 2 month wait seems to be the average. twistedct's post right before yours is the first that I've heard of a 3 month wait but he/she obviously picked a dealer with a large waiting list. The more people that are on a list at a particular dealer the longer the wait will be. My suggestion is ask specifically which number you are in the waiting line. That number should decrease every week or so if you call them for an update.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts