Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Focus SE Hb & 2018 Focus SE Sedan
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang,

I had the transmission on our '14 start missing shifts whit a check engine light when warm last weekend.

I dropped it off at the Dealer, who called back with Good News/Bad News: the Good news was the TCM, and so the repair would be free. :) However, the Bad news was that it was the TCM, and they had been on backorder since the beginning of May, and that he had six cars waiting for one. :rolleyes: So it sits...

Cheers,
Rod

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
1,100 Posts
It could be a few weeks but your on the waiting list so it'll get there eventually. Quite a few people have posted about the same thing. Since it's a warranty issue they should provide you a loaner car for free.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be a few weeks but your on the waiting list so it'll get there eventually. Quite a few people have posted about the same thing. Since it's a warranty issue they should provide you a loaner car for free.
Sadly, I was told that there would be no loaner.

My daughter was using it to drive to grad school, so she bought a new Kia Rio hatchback a year earlier than she had planned...

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Sounds about right Ford has never offered me a loner. They did give me a rental once when they did some damage to my car doing warrant work, but that took one hell of a battle. Some dealerships are better than others.

Hopefully she likes the Kia Rio they are not bad cars at all.

Let us know when the part comes in.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Sadly, I was told that there would be no loaner.
That doesn't surprise me. The dealer closest to me tried to weasel out of doing a recall job(I didn't buy the car there which doesn't matter) and also providing a loaner when I talked to them about it but I got them to acquiesce. They insisted that I return the loaner the very next day after the car was done or there would be fees incurred which did make sense. I don't use them anyway for other reasons but the next closest dealer that I use regularly is much easier to deal with.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi Gang,

..... the TCM, and they had been on backorder since the beginning of May, and that he had six cars waiting for one. :rolleyes: So it sits...

Cheers,
Rod
rschaffter,

Any update on your TCM? Our 2013 is waiting (in our garage) for the same part. I read (somewhere on the interwebs that there are "25,000" owners (Foci, Fiestas) waiting for replacment TCMs. Ruh-roh, Scoob.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
18,198 Posts
If you asked they used to be able to look at the number of orders and tell you close to where you were 'in line', don't know if they do that any more. Way back when I drove Tempo and the reclining seat bracket broke they told me 3 months and I was behind close to a hundred other people after I paid ($70ish IIRC) for the part to wait on it. He could see the number of national orders for the part in the computer.

With so many going bad en masse I'd be curious just what is going bad inside those modules, probably nothing fixable by the general public, but I did it once before on the old CCRM modules to work around the issue and save $250 and months of waiting. Those were stone age simple compared to that TCM though.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm curious how many miles and how old your car is that the TCM is still covered by the warranty. I had mine replaced at 52k (before the extension). It has been fine ever since, but I'm at 126k now. And the car is 9 years old. I just assume I'd be buying my own at this point.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rschaffter,

Any update on your TCM? Our 2013 is waiting (in our garage) for the same part. I read (somewhere on the interwebs that there are "25,000" owners (Foci, Fiestas) waiting for replacment TCMs. Ruh-roh, Scoob.

Thanks,

Chris
Hi Chris,

I checked this morning and they said that TCMs were trickling in, so they have been able to repair five of the six vehicles ahead of mine, and they should have more by late August.

Take Care,
Rod

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm curious how many miles and how old your car is that the TCM is still covered by the warranty. I had mine replaced at 52k (before the extension). It has been fine ever since, but I'm at 126k now. And the car is 9 years old. I just assume I'd be buying my own at this point.
It's a '14 with 92,000 miles. The warranty on the TCM was extended to 10 yr/150,000 miles...

Cheers,
Rod

·
Registered
18,198 Posts
With them 'trickling in' do you suppose Ford is simply rebuilding the bad ones?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
No, the chip shortage is just affecting all things with computers. The TCM has a computer with semi conductors. Ford has 10s of thousands of brand new vehicles sitting on lots scattered around the country without computers and modules, mostly F150s. It's a pretty wild scenario.
If Ford was rebuilding something they can't sell it as new. It has to be clearly stated that it's a rebuild. You'd see it on the paperwork they give you or on the box if you were paying out of pocket.
It's not just chips though. The DCT clutch is another thing that's trickling in slowly with a worldwide backorder. Demand is outstripping supply.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you asked they used to be able to look at the number of orders and tell you close to where you were 'in line', don't know if they do that any more. ........ and save $250 and months of waiting. Those were stone age simple compared to that TCM though.
Hi Chris,

I checked this morning and they said that TCMs were trickling in, so they have been able to repair five of the six vehicles ahead of mine, and they should have more by late August.

Take Care,
Rod
Rod: You da man! Thank you. At least I have hope now. Just one more month. 😀

AMC49: Ah, your mention of repairing a CCRM brings back memories.

Not sure if you were asking me or "rschaffter" but our Focus SE has 33k, looks brand new, drives perfectly. Except it doesn't know what gear it is in at the moment. No inkling of a problem, just an RPM flare from 2nd to 3rd and no shifting after that, CheckEngine light was on. I pulled over and called for a tow. I did pull the codes (11) and all were related to shifting (circuit A/B high/low, actuator A/B high/low, etc., etc.). Technician reported that the TCM has failed. So, we wait.

Warranty will cover it but we had the car in the shop in early March when it got the latest clutches, shift actuators, and an oil seal, and a reprogram of the TCM(?). The oil seal leaked and ruined the original clutches but it was shifting pretty well (almost never a shudder except when the weather was hot). I posted about it and complained that the "DCT warranty" had expired and Ford had no program to help with the cost. I also whinged about the parts and labor charges (lesson learned, lol). I'm guessing that the March repair gave us warranty coverage because the Service Advisor told me that the TCM would be fixed at no charge. (Good, I'm still gasping about the last repair bill.)

Cobrajet67: Thanks for the info. You and Rod have given me hope. Ford must be feeling the pain with their best selling vehicle stacked up waiting for parts. I will ask our Service Advisor is he can tell me where we are in the queue.

I've always bought Fords and I am pretty disappointed (like others). I read (on the interwebs) that they canceled their "electronics contracts" last year (to save money?) so they had to get those in place and get their parts production restarted. If that's true, some Ford executives are not worth two nickels. I hope that there is a fleet of cargo ships coming from Taiwan laden with milspec TCMs for all of us Foci and Fiesta owners who have non-shifting vehicles.

Thanks, again, fellas for the encouraging news.

Cheers,

Chris

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also whinged about the parts and labor charges (lesson learned, lol). I'm guessing that the March repair gave us warranty coverage because the Service Advisor told me that the TCM would be fixed at no charge. (Good, I'm still gasping about the last repair bill.)
Hi Chris,
The clutch warranty was for 7 years/100k and the TCM warranty is 10 years/150k; a shame your clutches didn't go last spring. :(

Coincidentally, ours had the clutches replaced in March as well, 6 years and 11 months in; Whew! :) In both our cases, I wonder if a failing TCM contributed to the clutches failing?

Take Care,
Rod

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I'm sure the TCM did contribute at least somewhat but I believe the clutch design was revised multiple times to give satisfactory operation. All of that should have been done before it was released into production though. I think if Ford had kept the MK2 going for another few years or released the MK3 with the older auto trans then more development would have led to less problems and warranty claims. However, the DCT auto trans took many years to get to a reliable level after many revisions and updates of parts(clutch, actuators, TCM, TCM seal, etc) and software.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Started my 2014 focus and the service trans now error popped up.. bad tcm under the warranty.. with no luck getting a loaner I reset the code myself and in last month the error popped up once so I just rest it again and good to go again? Maybe a voltage spike on starting is causing the error? Never happens while driving

·
Registered
7 Posts
Started my 2014 focus and the service trans now error popped up.. bad tcm under the warranty.. with no luck getting a loaner I reset the code myself and in last month the error popped up once so I just rest it again and good to go again? Maybe a voltage spike on starting is causing the error? Never happens while driving
When the trans error did pop up I couldn’t drive over 40mph with the engine revving to high so think the last couple gears weren’t working..

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The car went in limp mode to protect itself from further damage. That problem isn't going to go away. It'll be back and probably more often.
Did you have Ford diagnose it or did you assume that it's the TCM? I mean I'm sure that is it but just wondering since you didn't say. If they said it was the TCM then you should have ok'd the repair under warranty because you'll be waiting for weeks to get one. It would have put you on the waiting list. Now, if it craps out completely then you'll be renting a car or borrowing someone's until it comes in. Apparently, rentals are SUPER expensive right now.
How many miles are on the car and has it ever had the TCM or clutch replaced?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes Ford said the tcm was bad and under warranty.. I’m 5th in line at the particular dealership. It has 97000 on it and the clutch was replaced under warranty a year or so ago. In the last 900 miles I drove it faulted twice so far.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts