Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new Throttle Body from the local dealership - gave them my VIN, year, and made it clear it was an automatic 2000 ZTS. They advised the part number has changed to a new TB 2M5Z-9E926-BB. Picked-up and installed - to the point of connecting the electrical connector for the TPS. Connector will not fit the new TPS. [mad]

I replaced the TB because the TPS was throwing errors and understood that I had to replace the TB and could not buy a separate TPS like the manual foci.

thoughts? [dunno] Has anyone run into this before? did they give me the wrong part?

thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update - Correct Part - Build Date of Car a Factor

I contacted another Ford dealership today and provided them with the part number and asked them to tell me what it was for ---- the part number purchased is for a 2000 Ford Focus ZTS DOHC motor - automatic. The TPS is the correct one. The issue --- if the build date of the car is prior to Nov '00 then a separate wiring harness with the correct connector is also required to be purchased.

Now when I ordered the TB I provided the parts person with my VIN - they did not pickup the fact that the build date of my focus is 08/2000 and requires the addition of the wiring harness.

So for those who have a 2000 focus you may want to tell the folks you are ordering from the build date. I had also noticed when ordering my timing belt kit and valve cover gasket that the VCG is different for the pre Nov '00 build.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Actually you will need to order a pigtail to match.. the 2000 series original throttlebody and TPS were Effectively replaced with one that doesn't match which you have come across.. i just took the tps off went to the local junkyard and grabbed a Pigtail from one that match's the TPS then cut the old one off soldered the new pigtail to the cut harness and works fine

As per both my Wagons are Both SE Zetecs, one build date is 12/00 the Second is 01/01 yet they BOTH have the exact same Throttlebodies....

As you can see here what i had to do.. Just match the colors soldered the ends then heatshrink... my heatshrink is oversized because I shrunk one end injected epoxy into the unshrunk which completely sealed the joint then closed the other end.. i let it dry then shrunk the center to make it hermetically sealed

Here is my Old (Top picture)
and my new one, actually its used but the newer version (Bottom picture)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies. snipping and splicing would be simple enough. will get my hands on one and put it in --- again. [wiggle]

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
old thread...

But in short, I need a new TPS. If I was to get a new pigtail and the newer version TPS could I still use my current throttle body, or would I need the newer model as well?

Oh, and are all TPS's the same (auto/manual) or are they different depending on transmission?

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Nope they change the TPS/Throttlebody, the new Throttlebody screws are much larger..

just grab the new TPS and take it to the junkyard and go through the focus engines and locate the plug that does fit it.. cut that pigtail off as far as you can cut it ( have alot of extra wire) then on your old plug cut as close to the connector and join the colors of the original wires to the pigtail you just picked up

if you look at my first picture that is a 02/03 Throttlebody and newer TPS on a 00/01 motor, I also had to change my plug and its easier then you think to do and I would rather have the newer plug so in the future its an easy swap if it does go

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Ok thanks... I think I sourced out a late 2002 ATX TB with the TPS (hopefully). I'm going to try a new TPS first though.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
well I dunno where people are getting them but I took my original 00 throttlebody to partsource, carquest, canadian tire and ford they all said they can offer me an aftermarket no name but nothing designed for my particular throttlebody they all said the same thing "part not available, please use this part #" which referred them to the update kit from ford

and instead of mucking around with the throttlebody I just got the used one (TB) with used tps and alls good plus now if I need a new one I walk into ford and bam right there they have them seeing its the new style :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I replaced the one on my 2003 zx3, Zeetec, I went to about 5 auto parts stores. All tried to sell me the one pictured in the first pic above in post #4. Mine was like the one in the bottom pic. Only Auto Zone finally found it, listed under Sohc, automatic (mine Dohc, 5 speed). Ran into the same problem with the idle-air sensor. Kept ordering them, they came in with the plug out the side, and wouldn't fit mine-- my plug came out the back. Went to junk yard, got one that matches perfectly. Running now (for now)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts