Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you get the cables off the old one? and do i need to seal anything else up?

Mike

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
First you have to remove the four bolts that hold the TB.
Lift TB and then remove cables.
Also, cover intake manifold TB input with a rag so bolts and whatnots don't go in to your engine.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Here, this may help.
Click here for complete instructions

Instructions:

Disconnect your battery using the 10mm socket.
Loosen the clamps that secure the upper air duct tube from the air box to the throttle body.
Note: Cover the exposed throttle body opening with a lint free cloth to prevent anything from falling in.
Remove the 4 screws that secure the throttle body to the intake, using the #30 torx bit.
Note: With the throttle body removed, cover the exposed intake opening with a lint free cloth to prevent anything from falling in.
Remove the throttle position sensor using the #25 torx bit.
Remove the throttle cable.
Remove the cruise control cable(if applicable).
5 & 6
Install the new throttle body in the reverse order that you just used to remove the stock throttle body.

Caution: Be careful not to cross-thread the screws into the "plastic" intake manifold!
Note: The order in which you remove/install the cables and position sensor is up to you, I found it easier to have the throttle body off the intake, to handle the cables and position sensor more easily.
Reconnect your car battery.
Let your car idle.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, got everything on, but i think i goobered the TPS. the idle is OK and i don't hear any leaks, but the revs hang and...

IT SHIFTS REALLY HARD!!! i mean this thing throws you in the seat. even at stand still it thuds into gear. WTF DID I DO, AND HOW DO I FIX IT? is there an adjustment? the cables don't appear to be binding, but i don't know.

Mike

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
When you say shifts hard, is it because you are giving a lot of gas ?

With the 65mm TB, you need to retrain your lead foot to push a little less.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no, i mean i'm sitting in the driveway and shifting from gear to gear and the whole thing shakes. when i drive it (i took it a couple of blocks), it wants to hold first gear to about 4500 rpm even at light throttle. when it goes to shift, it shifts hard. i mean REALLY hard. here's what i've done:

i put the stock stuff back on. idle seems fine and doesn't wanna hang anymore. no leaks that i can tell. CEL is still on, though. gears still shift hard after the first shift.

i can't figure out what i did. i called ford and asked for a price on a TPS. after they fed me some BS about not being able to get JUST the TPS (in other words, i would have to replace the whole TB), the guy finally asked what i had done. i told him, and he went on about how the MAF sensor wasn't calibrated blah blah blah. so i aske dhim what the TPS would have to do with the shifting. he said it shouldn't do anything. only thing related to the tranny that i touched was the cable on the TB bracket. that's it

i'm probably going to end up taking it to ford tomorrow and having them take a look at it. hopefully it's just some dumb adjustment that i can't figure out.

morale of the story: i suck at working on cars

Mike

PS- if anyone has any ideas, PLEASE let me know

·
Registered
456 Posts
I bet I know what is wrong... *sad* You destroyed your TPS. Is yours about 3/4" thick? If so, I know how you can get just the TPS. When I accidently installed mine wrong, I had the same problem. A CEL and the car shifting hard. The reason it shifts hard is because the computer factors in how far open the throttle is in order to shift smoothly. It isn't your MAF, that is fine. The guy you talked to just doesn't know what he is talking about.

The way to properly install it is easy, just hard to explain... I'll try to draw a diagram up or somehting. You can IM on AIM at OracleGuy01 and try and explain it more.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BTW, that is EXACTLY what i wanted to hear. thanks. now i can go tell ford to shove it. sad thing is, i kinda like how it shifts. and to think some people pay all that money for a chip when all you have to do is be a complete idiot!

i took it out for another run (a longer one this time) to get a better idea of what's going on. i got on it pretty hard and.. OH BABY! the hard shifts get rid of all that sloppiness and that thing is nasty fast! i think i know what the next mod'll be.

·
12 years strong
6,882 Posts
hey. i fuked up my tps also when i put mine on. go to motorcraft.com. my friend said he went to that site and they had them there for sale. i went to the ford dealer to get a tps to and they said that id hafta get a whole t/b with it. but my friend works at an auto parts store and he just called up a dealer and told them he needed a tps and they really went out of their way for him to get the part. it only cost me 40 bucks.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, but is your ATX or MTX. i've been searching for a while now, and it looks like the the dealership might be right on this one. if you have a P/N, that would be great. i'm checking motorcraft.com now, but they're site is not the most helpful thing in the world

Mike

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, I'm holding it in my hand, and i don't see anything that looks like a long ford P/N. here's what mine says:

2M5U 9B989

underneath it says AB 2C0(O?)B

according to motorcraft.com, there is only one P/N for a zetec that year (that they list). a lot of other places i've been online (as well as the dealer), say that the TPS is definetely different for MTX. so i'm thinking that the one they have listed on motorcraft.com is for the MTX.

if you have any P/N for me at all, i'd REALLY appreciate it.

Mike

·
12 years strong
6,882 Posts
that is the part number im talkin about. the 2m5u 9b989. but just to make sure. when i put my new tps on, at the moment i didnt notice that i did it until i thought about it. when i put the new tps on for the first time, i put it on wrong. i put it on facing the front. when i started the car, it idled really bad. but when i thought about it, i knew i put it on backwards and changed it and everything was fine. maybe u just put it on backwards. but when i called the dealer to see if they had one in stock, he asked for a p/n and i told him the number that was on the side of the tps. its kinda like ur number. so that has to be it. i'll look on motorcraft.com too to see what i can find out.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey oracleguy, i was reading your post where you told kottonmouth that the TPS for an 01 escape with a 3.0 duratec will work. did you actually hook it up and try it? also, where are you measuring the width of that guy? mine's pretty fat at the portion where the actual sensor is. i measure about 7/8" to 1" if you include the little circular portion that houses the turning portion of the sensor. if you just measure the bigger housing (the part that is exposed when the TPS is installed), it's about 3/4". man, if this is right, you are my hero sir!

Mike

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
is that the P/N you used? bc the P/N they list (the long one) isn't the same as mine. i think i'm gonna print those out, though, and just take it to ford tomorrow. either that one or the one for the escape (like oracleguy was talking about) has to work.

thanks

Mike

·
12 years strong
6,882 Posts
naw. i didnt use a part number. but yeah. go to the dealer. i think its the only way u might be able to get one cause before i did anything, i went to an auto parts store and they said ford hadnt released it for sale yet. hopefully u wont have to buy a whole new t/b. hope i helped a bit.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts