Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the name says it. I notice all the TB's for sale and ported TBs are only 65mm. Is it just physically impossible to put a bigger one in? Or is it just pointless or what? Also what is the stock size of our TBs?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
you can port one bigger, but you would have to port the manifold to match it. I think BBK was going to do a 66mm one, but decided to halt the project.

I'm not sure if you can buy one off the shelf at 70mm, I think scotnjenni might be thinking of the 70mm pro-maf by mistake.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think I heard that CFM was doing a 70mm TB. Don't think it's out yet though.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just as a side note My boss just got a new Z06. He said his TB is 90mm!!!!! Thats some serious milimeterage!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
yea i think that the one in the 2006 ford performance parts catalog is 70mm but i also think that you need the intake manifold. correct me if i'm wrong.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
SVTFsOnIcBlUe said:
Just as a side note My boss just got a new Z06. He said his TB is 90mm!!!!! Thats some serious milimeterage!!!
And think of the size of the motor, those are what, 6.0 liters i believe? could be wrong. And really, unless you are heavily modded, a 65mm tb wont do much of anything, just have alittle better pedal response. And even bigger one still wont really do much of anything. Just some info.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I added the FC 65mm to my auto. Did not gain any performance with the exception of a quicker throttle response from a dead stop. The whistle sound that my MMS CAI used to make @ 3000 rpms disappeared. The shifting points of the auto tranny are real drawn out, and kick down at highway speeds no longer exists. IMO the 65 isn't worth the bucks. Just my .02 cents. Peace out.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SVT_BMXer said:
And think of the size of the motor, those are what, 6.0 liters i believe? could be wrong. And really, unless you are heavily modded, a 65mm tb wont do much of anything, just have alittle better pedal response. And even bigger one still wont really do much of anything. Just some info.
Actually the Z06 motor is a 7.0 liter!! Damn if we could only fit that bad boy under our hoods it would be over!!!

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Ew, why would you want anything but blue oval power under the hood!? You just bite your tongue...

You oculd always try to mod a Mustang GT TB in place...they are the universal TB...

Oh, and the 70mm TB being produced has no Idle Air Control Valve...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^^whats the idle control valve for? Without it does that mean it wont idle and you have to give it gas yourself?

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Might stall etc. Its mostly for decel. and it could fall on its face if you dont have it...when the throttle plate closes, it goes to the IAC Valve to get a little extra air. You basically loose that extra air supply to idle. I'm pretty sure you'd have to get an aftermarket intake manifold with the IAC mounted to that, and then a tube coming off the intake pipe to bypass the TB to feed it that air...make sense?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts