Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a set and was wondering if anyone knew of a less expensive place or of a coupon code for them. I used google shopping to search, but was wondering if anyone had their own personal thoughts of where to get them.

Taylor 82609 Thundervolt 8.2mm Spark Plug Wires

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The msrp is $47.99. Taylor's shipping is a couple buck less then summit. I was jut hoping someone might have a hook-up. The site race-mart.com has them for $40 but I found bad reviews about them.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Moved to Zetec Performance Chat. This is the proper forum for performance enhancing discussions like big spark plug wires. Ford Focus Technical Chat is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Ford Racing sells 10mm racing wires that a few people have installed. Those might be better than the wires you mentioned, but I don't know about cheaper. Really spark is the last place to go to gain performance or fuel economy if that's what you're after. Best of luck, and thanks for posting!

·
Super Moderator
9,559 Posts
Spark plug wires add no performance just to let you know. Only reason I replaced my spark plug wires awhile back was because I had one of my factory ones go bad at 35,000 miles. So I just replaced them with the yellow Ford Racing wires and have had no problems out of them.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I bought a set of Taylors last year and Love em.
No performance gains,but look and fit great and I paid well over what You found them for.
An interesting article found on FJ comparing Taylor Thundervolts to the Screamin Demon wires:

Taylor Thundervolt 8.2mm ignition wires, resistance when new:
Cylinder 1: 90 ohms
Cylinder 2: 65 ohms
Cylinder 3: 50 ohms
Cylinder 4: 35 ohms

11,114 miles / 8 months exactly:
Cylinder 1: 80 ohms
Cylinder 2: 70 ohms
Cylinder 3: 60 ohms
Cylinder 4: 75 ohms

I must not have had a good connection when I tested cylinder 1 wire the first time since I'm showing a drop in resistance of 10 ohms, which I really doubt is possible. Not sure why the smallest wire's resistance went up, but I'm not really complaining with these numbers.

For reference, here's what I measured on my used LiveWires (about 35k miles):
Cylinder 1: 600 ohms
Cylinder 2: 600 ohms
Cylinder 3: 500 ohms
Cylinder 4: 250 ohms

No comparisons can be found for the FR wires.
But I can say that having put on the Taylors,I changed valve covers twice and had to pull off the plug boots several times each,they still look and fit like factory new.
I like them alot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts