Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone's SVT have rather noisey lifters? Mine have gotten pretty loud these days and I want to put a fresh set in there to shut them up.

·
Registered
549 Posts
mine tap a little bit with 30k miles....try stepping up a oil grade before you go changing parts.mine have tapped a little since i bought the car new,but i will be switching to 10w30 at 40k.......[thumb]

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good idea and I've tried 10w30, 10w40 and 20w50. The thicker I went, the worse it got :( . I'm going to go back to 10w30 because the SVT is supposed to hav pretty thin oil from what I have heard from everyone and read in the manual.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was just reading about what you guys were saying and I had been thinking about changing my oil around as well. I have been putting Fully-Synthetic 5w-30 Mobil 1 in my car since I got it. I always forget how the hell the oil weight works but the lower the first number the thicker the oil is right?? So being the fact that it's summer and everything I should probably change up to 10W-30 as well, because I hear you get better gas mileage with that as well.

·
Registered
549 Posts
actually its the higher the number the thicker the oil....and for those tapping lifters..on my old eclipse i had noisy lifters so i poured a bottle of engine restore in it, ran the car for about 15 minutes, then drained the oil and did a complete oil change and it helped a lot.the restore stuff is so thick it coats all your internals...just dont leave the stuff in permanetly..

·
Registered
155 Posts
So then I should probably just stick with 5w-30 then right all year around?? What change in oil would make my gas mileage go up or is that just the fact of using fully-synthetic?? Another question, sometime here soon probably my next oil change I am having the PCV changed out tthat will give me better gas mileage won't it?? I still never have understood what the hell that really is.

·
Registered
155 Posts
See now that sounds important lol Ok I never knew that so I am assuming that it would be vital to your gas mileage. Sweet ok yea I am replacing it with a new one my next oil change. Oh yea one more thing that little green sponge in the air box do you have to change that as wellwhen you change the PCV? I noticed that mine has some oil on it. I also noticed that the tube that leads into that green sponge had some oil around it. Not a lot but like it was dripping or anything just like some oil around it is that bad??

·
Registered
456 Posts
^ A little oil is fine.

Zetecs (base or SVT) don't have lifters ... they have cam buckets. There is no hydraulic valve lash take-up mechanism. Lash is adjusted by having the proper height bucket matched to the valve/cam lobe combo. They don't wear out very fast either.

You are probably hearing mostly injector noise - SVTs are louder than most.

·
Dragon Warrior
309 Posts
if it is injector noise then mine are the noiseyest(sp?) i have ever heard.

my car has sounded exactly the same from Day one. No loss of power or anything. Runs perfect.

I honestly have wondered why the engine is so loud.

I will try to nab a video later.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey cosdevSVT I just seen that you live in Ann Arbor! That's sweet you are the only person I have seen on here that is close to me. Where about in Ann Arbor do you live?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Wow dude you live right down the street from me, do you know those apartments behind Eastern: Peninsular Place, I live right there man your like 5 minutes from me that's pretty cool. In fact I work at the Best Buy right there off of Ann Arbor Saline road.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The PCV valve seems to be important and its cheap and easy to change. However if you have a close look at the PCV valve its just a piece of metal with a internal ball cock design (an internal valve that just slides up and down). I would suggest that just cleaning it would be fine just to make sure it doesn't get clogged up with gunk. Also the manual doesn't say to change it until like 30-50 k. I've replaced mine 2 times in the last 2 years.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah I'm at 33,000 and I'm just going to change it I think it'sonly like 14 bucks so what the hell. I've done everything else I might as well do that. How often should you do a radiator flush and fill or a power steering flush and fill??

·
Registered
92 Posts
$14 !!!!! a PCV valve should be abou $3 at the most. Try Kragen or pep boys. I am fairly sure that even though the SVT is not in their books the standard focus PCV valve is the same. As I have replaced mine twice. The part number is in the supplimentary SVT manual that came with your car.

·
Registered
549 Posts
just be careful because the heat exposure causes the hose to get dry and if you rush you will crack the pcv hose.....

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
COSDEVSVT said:
^ A little oil is fine.

Zetecs (base or SVT) don't have lifters ... they have cam buckets. There is no hydraulic valve lash take-up mechanism. Lash is adjusted by having the proper height bucket matched to the valve/cam lobe combo. They don't wear out very fast either.

You are probably hearing mostly injector noise - SVTs are louder than most.

I'm pretty familiar with sounds in an engine and I definitely don't think this is injector noise. This is more of a tap than a click of most injectors. I could definitely be wrong but it seems like lifter sound to me.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts