Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an over zelous retard who just got a torque wrench....Noticing some leaking oil around my valve cover, I started tightening!!! Bad move, I know only wish I had a Delorian and a Flux Capacitor.... Is there anyway to get 2 broken screws out from my engine block without having to go to a shop to get it tapped?

Thanks.

I'm an Idiot [?|]

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
for small bolts like that, often times you can drill a small hole in the center, and drive a Torx bit into it, then use the bit to back it out. I've found those to work even better than the extractors they make for that purpose a lot of times.

If you have a reversable drill, you can also buy a reversed drill bit, that bites going backwards. you often will get lucky and the broken bolt will back out while drilling it.

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have since gone and gotten it tapped...a little bit beyond my skill lvl....retail.... $138....Now I have to wait a little longer for my FS exaust... :(

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Was the torque wrench miscalibrated or something? Torque wrenches are suppose to prevent this from happening, not cause it.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
For next time, there is actually such a thing as left-hand drill bits. You select a size smaller than the broken bolt, put your drill in reverse, and start drilling. Once you have a little dimple, push hard. The bit will bite in as it tries to drill and spin the broken bolt right out. It works great-- other methods make you hammer an extractor or something into the bolt which only expands it and tightens it in the hole. Sears used to have these drills, I don't know if they still do.

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did use a torgue wrench and I contacted my Local Ford Dealer and they told me to set it at 70 newtons....once I set the wrench I went at it and Snap.....so bad on Apple Ford In Lynchburg.....

·
Registered
534 Posts
The correct torque for a Zetec cylinder head cover is 7 Nm, not 70Nm. Its always best to have your own manual to eliminate the risk of misinterpretation or misunderstanding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts