Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before anyone starts up with the "Use the search button" BS, I already searched for this both in Focus Technical and in here and there's nothing relevant.

I'm looking at adding oil pressure and temperature and a water temperature gauge on my A pillar. I've read the how-to for oil pressure, but I can't find any information on water or oil temperature gauges.

For water, I figured somewhere on the thermostat housing, but is it OK to drill a hole through it? And is that even where I'd want to take the reading from?

For oil temperature, would I put the sensor on the pan? Or elsewhere? I'll be getting electronic temperature gauges so I only have to put sending units on the thermostat and pan (assuming that's where I should tap it.)

Any advice is appreciated [thumb]

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
The Ford Contour has the Zetec engine and had the Engine temp gauge sender on the thermostat housing. Ford removed the sender on the Focus and just uses the engine head temp and then sends the signal to the gauge.
On the Contour, the ECU still gets the temp from the head but the gauge itself gets a direct reading from it's own temp sender.

The Contour gauge sender is mounted directly on the bottom.
I believe the Focus housing even has a circle on the bottom showing where it should be.

I'm not sure about drilling the housing but you might be able to install a Contour housing on it that already has the hole for the sender.

Here's a pic of the gauge sender on the Contour housing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts