Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
you technically don't. just simply turbo time it and you will be fine. i ran a mitsu tdo5-18g for about 20,000 miles without the coolant lines hooked up and it held up absolutly fine [;)]

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
well wouldnt it be cheaper to run the coolant lines, than spend extra money on a turbo timer? might take some inginuity to do it, but 250-300 bucks for a brand turbo timer is expensive.

·
Registered
226 Posts
hell you don't even need a turbo timer. Just let the car idle for 20 seconds after a pull. I don't have my coolant lines hooked up either. IMO a timer is a waste of cash.

Scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
bowser, you're right, it wouldn't be expensive at to set up. but it's not necessary and really it's just one more thing that could leak. water jackets were placed in turbos to aid with cooling after the engine was shutdown due to the fact that coolant continues to circulate without the engine running. a turbo timer is a very important part to have imo. also 20 seconds is probably not enough.

a good way find uot how much time is needed is 1) invest in a good egt gauge (you need one for any form of forced induction any way) 2) turn on the car and let it get up to operarting temp and check to see where the gauge is at idle. 3) take the car for a "spirited" run 4)park and time how long it takes for the gauge to go back to operating temp, or close to it for that matter.

that's about how long it should take to cool down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts