Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have a rub on their side panel from their tail light? Mine now has the paint worn off and the dealership says Ford won't take care of it. Just wondering how many people have this issue.

Maybe it was an one-off production issue but definitely disappointed that the dealership told me Ford doesn't stand by their quality but doesn't surprise I suppose, been disappointed by the poor quality of the paint on this car in general and that's before adding in the DCT issues. Just sad because I do like the car overall but is ridiculous all the quality issue I have had with a brand new car and to have the dealership just keep telling me they won't do anything about it. While I gave Ford credit for not taking a bailout but clearly they still have quality issues and won't stand behind their products. This was the first new Ford bought by anyone in my family (including extended) in more than 30 years and after this it'll be the last. Next time I'll get a Honda, I know they would at least try to work with me to resolve any quality issues.
/rant

Attachments

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
If you have less than 36,000 miles, that should be covered under your bumper to bumper warranty. If your dealer is being a dick, go to a different dealer. If they also say no, escalate it.

EDIT: Damn, I just looked and I have this too. I think I know what may have caused it. If you look at the photo carefully, there are some sharp pointed pieces of plastic flashing on the edge of the lens assembly (circled in blue) I believe that body flex and slamming the hatch may cause that sharp edges to contact the paint. Notice how near my paint chip there is a piece of plastic broken off, perhaps when it contacted the metal.

I am just going to use touch up paint on mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's good to know. I'll have to see if the dealer will do something now. The problem may be that at this point I do have 57k miles on the car. When I noticed it it was still under 36k.
Thanks for the for the info guys!

·
Read Only
0 Posts
You're past the mileage where a dealer will help you. Get a body shop to repair the paint damage, and before the taillights are re-installed, install a rubber washer (or two, depending on thickness) over the 2 rear mounting studs and back out the mounting pin up front by couple of mm. That will keep it from happening again.

·
Registered
845 Posts
That's good to know. I'll have to see if the dealer will do something now. The problem may be that at this point I do have 57k miles on the car. When I noticed it it was still under 36k.
Thanks for the for the info guys!
I had this problem and they repainted the entire hatch lid with no problem. I wouldn't blame Ford though. If you're that far past your warranty, I doubt anyone short of Tesla would work with you. Good luck though!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Make sure you check to see whether or not they paint it. Mine had big spots of missing paint in that exact spot, both sides. I asked if they'd repaint it and he said sure, no problem, they'll take care of it and make it look new (the car had less than 5000 mi on it). They took the lights off and put felt in between the light and the paint to give it some more room but they didn't paint it, so I brought it back and they gobbed some touch up on one side but not the other...... not worth my time to waste another half a day, so I ordered my own touch up paint and fixed it (I asked the guy if I could have some to fix what they didn't and he said they didn't have any to give out...)

·
Registered
376 Posts
I put neoprene washers behind the mounting points of the light the day I took the car home. The extra 2mm of clearance has prevented the rub issue. That said, the car came home from the lot with rub mark on the clearcoat where your chip is.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
It would've been had he taken it in before 36,000 miles. Having said that....it's ridiculous to produce a car that destroys its own paint as a side effect of its design.

·
Registered
378 Posts
seems to be a common problem as mentioned by SilverPony2001. Especially right tail light (mine is worn out, while left is OK).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts