Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sorry if this is a dumb question, but I need to ask a question.

I have darked tail lights for my focus, since there are no aftermarket ones. The bulbs are a bit older / dimmed, and the darkened housing doesn't help. I've looked up bulbs, and the bulbs listed on here for the brake light is 3157LL and the reverse is 3156LL. Now, I've found a 3157A amber LED on CarID:
Lumen® - Ford Focus 2007 Tail Light LED Bulbs

My question is this:
Does a 3157A, like that bulb (Plazma), fit into my brake light slot for 3157LL?

Would the same go for a 3156LL like such?
Lumen® - Ford Focus 2007 Back-up/Reverse Light LED Bulbs

Also, those prices ($30) are each for one bulb. So for the four bulbs, it would be $120. Are there bulbs you suggest that would give me a nice bright light through my 20% tail light housing and that is also a bit cheaper?

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,109 Posts

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,109 Posts

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Did you use the resistors superbright has avail. to match?

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Hi FreeFocus, I am sorta, kinda, adding onto Sailors question...

If the load resistors are not installed I believe most/all Focus owners will have; (1) turn signal hyper-blink (2) cruise control will not work.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,109 Posts
Hi FreeFocus, I am sorta, kinda, adding onto Sailors question...

If the load resistors are not installed I believe most/all Focus owners will have; (1) turn signal hyper-blink (2) cruise control will not work.

Ahh found it!

Correct, I didn't add resistors so I have the fastest blinkers around. Awesome right haha.

My car also didn't come with cruise control so I don't know. But from much reading I have done I agree that cruise control won't work because it shows a bulb out. For whatever reason I can't remember why though.

That work for you?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Useful - Tx for the extra info.!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got the bulbs in the mail today, so I'll take the car out tonight and do a comparison test. Should I decide to add the resistors, where would they go in the circuit?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I just got the bulbs in the mail today, so I'll take the car out tonight and do a comparison test. Should I decide to add the resistors, where would they go in the circuit?
Inline & right in the tailight housing.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,109 Posts
Just change one side and take a picture then do a before and after as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've attached the before and after pictures now. It's such a huge difference, especially with the reverse lights. I also added the resistor for the turn signals. I didn't use the t-taps. I just figured out which wire was for the turn signal and spliced into that and ground for the resistor.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The 3156 and 3157 are both 550 lumen output. They work and look so much better on the car, especially with the tint.

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
The A means amber and the LL means a long life bulb, the 3157 is what determines whether the bulbs are physically the same and interchange...................

1 - 18 of 18 Posts