Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 Zx3 didn't come with a stock tach even though its a five speed, and I was wondering what the best way to wire it is? specific details are 05 zx3 s, 2.0 l4. I caneasily get a mid range aftermarket tach at autozone for 40ish bucks, and im not looking for anything crazy. just something simple that will tell me how many revs im doing.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to the MkI interior upgrades section.

You can find more info. here, and by searching the forum in general as well as info. in the "stickies" (How To section).

There isn't an 'easy" way to add an aftermarket tach., "tach driver" is the usual method.

Most find a different used instrument cluster for a swap that includes a tach, as I did myself.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Matching type with tach is plug-n-play.

It's nice to get one with mileage similar to your current numbers BTW, as the car's mileage is stored there. Just keep track of the difference for reference.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Matching type with tach is plug-n-play.

It's nice to get one with mileage similar to your current numbers BTW, as the car's mileage is stored there. Just keep track of the difference for reference.
I swapped for a cluster that had a tach myself, really easy to swap over. I bought one with a few thousand miles more than my car had and swapped it over they hit the same mileage. I was actually coming back from somewhere and pulled off the road to swap it over [:)] basic tools and a few minutes of time is all it takes.

I bough mine off ebay for $50ish, just find one from the same year (05-07 should all be the same.) Once you buy it, do a test fit to make sure everything powers on and the gauges work...then just wait [:)] (unless you dont care about the mileage, then happy swapping!)

I had a brake light come on with my unit, the donor car had ABS and i didnt, i removed that light

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Which bulb for ABS?

I had a brake light come on with my unit, the donor car had ABS and i didnt, i removed that light
Which light did you remove? Was it one of the twist bulbs on the back of the cluster? My tach cluster has 5 bulbs. I am doing the same thing on Thursday and I guess I don't even know if I will have the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts