Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the fofo started leaking coolant about a week ago and I finally got around to taking the thermostat housing off, because I couldn't find a leak anywhere else. I took a picture of the housing, and found what I BELIEVE is the culprit: a small chunk that is missing (at least I think something used to be there). So, I only have two questions:

1. Is that little notch that is missing causing the coolant leak, or is that little notch supposed to be there?
2. Do I need to replace the entire housing piece?

If someone could take a look at the picture and tell me whether I need to replace the entire part or just the o-ring that would be great. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks. [thankyou]

·
Stock
5,040 Posts
Replace the whole housing and oring. Mine did the same thing. Cause is usually the valve cover leaking oil down your head onto that oring causing the ring to expand and cracking your housing giving you s leak. I would check your head and see if there is oil on it. You should replace the valve cover gasket if you see any but you might want to anyways as a preventative measure. It isnt difficult nor expensive.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replace the whole housing and oring. Mine did the same thing. Cause is usually the valve cover leaking oil down your head onto that oring causing the ring to expand and cracking your housing giving you s leak. I would check your head and see if there is oil on it. You should replace the valve cover gasket if you see any but you might want to anyways as a preventative measure. It isnt difficult nor expensive.
Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. The weird thing is that I replaced the valve cover gasket around the time I got the car (~1 yr ago) and it's been fine since, but the t-stat problem occurred recently, but the part is cheap plastic so not really surprising. I will order a new part and get everything squared away. Thanks for the help guys [headbang] [ffrocks]

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
the housing comes with the o-ring.

call mike trendel at Hilbish Ford 18008490233
you can expect to pay @60-65 shipped for this part.

·
Registered
467 Posts
yea u have to replace it, i had to replace it twice. reason is cuz of oil leak from ur valve cover. the oil leaks down to the housing and causes it to break. i replaced the the valve cover gasket along with a new housing, it fixed my problem.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
do the whole thing...
i got it 42 plus tax from my dealer...
listed as 58
ask for discount LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
My t-stat housing had a block gasket failure and I got a replacement housing w/ gasket from Parts Authority in New York for $40 with tax but paid $33 for 1-day shipping b/c I needed to fix the car quick. One thing about Parts Authority...they said it was a housing kit but it wasn't. (A housing kit comes w/ new t-stat and t-stat gasket).

The plastic is lame, and I can see how the fragile seating for the block gasket might fail.

When I gently removed my old t-stat housing, the block gasket was bent inwards more than a half an inch into the lacuna, but the gasket seating was fine, so I had to shake my head and ask how the H did that happen? How did it get pushed inward when there's pressure in the system. Shouldn't it have been pushed outward? Weird.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts