Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my SVTF on the weekend. It's a 2002 3dr with the winter package. I know there is a switch next to the heated seat button, which turns the stability control on, and off. However, even with it off, (orange light on in dash) it seems like the T/C is still on. If I try and take off fast, it reves down and won't spin the tires.

Last night I dropped the clutch at around 4K, and it shot down to 1K. -including a loud "thunk" from having the brakes applied~

Do I need a chip or something? Should I remove a fuse or relay, or unlug the abs or whatever it takes to test my car out? I just want the option of having T/C on and off. And I think the timeing changes too.

The engine does not hesitate, nor does it misfire. Its fine going into 2nd, even chirps the tires a bit.
Any ideas??

Thanks! Matthew

PS: I may of attatched files by accident. ignore any links of this post-im new to this

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
that is completely normal, yeah i know it sucks. the only way to get rid of it is to get a tune or to pull the fuse. #46 i think in the fuse panel below the steering wheel on the left. Click here for how to. that's what i did to kill my traction. just remember that also disables the ABS!

** added ** Welcome to FocusFanatics.com! there's lot of usuful info and great people to help out here [thumb] all ya gotta do is ask.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Good to know. Im gonna order a tune tommorow!! Im a 2nd year auto-tech, but I spend most of my time working on 1 ton trucks. So I dont get a chance to repair "cars." This forum looks great! I am sure I will learn alot!!!

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
yeah i want a tune also so i can disable that tc and keep the abs and net a few ponies too but i like my warrenty even more so i'll have to wait on that. the traction control sucked for me while i was autocrossing which is why i can't wait for the new season as i installed that switch [:D]

·
Registered
965 Posts
^^^im pretty sure you wont void your warrenty with a tune.......based on your picture you are more likely to void it due to racing [:D]

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
OrangeSVTguy;
A couple notes:

1) Late build 2004 models have a problem defeating the T/C with a tune.
Neither Wayne (Hypnotic Illusions) nor Tom (FocusPower) has been able to figure it out yet.
And, believe me...they've both sent several tunes to try, but nothing has killed it yet on my car.

2) While the "kill switch" is a handy way to kill the T/C, and would be fine on the drag strip,
I would HIGHLY advise against using it on an AutoCross course.
Not only do you lose ABS, but you will also lose the proper F/R brake proportioning.
You'll end up with a rather dangerous 50/50 F/R split.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
WOW thanks for that advice WD40!!! maybe i won't be killing the tc during the autox. but i kinda figured it would not be right without the abs because all 4's would lock up when i hit the turns, but my rpm's wouldn't drop SOO bad and i'd be able to spin my tires more. the tune kills the warrenty because you have to reflash the ecu.... right?

btw thanks WD40 (can't remember your real name) lol i was watching your videos of the autocross and that idea inspired me to make my own camera mount. [thumb] Thanks.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
i like the tc kill for launches but it doesn't feel right to me without the abs that i'm so used to. i've tested out hard braking and all 4's lock up and my car didn't want to stop straight. the ass end wanted to come out.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The only thing Ford can tell about a tune is when it was last reflashed - not who did it.

Just buy your SCT or Diablo unit from whomever you choose - then take the car in to the dealer for that new 2004 MY reflash that we all just heard about and get it done under warranty. Then, the same say, take it home and flash your new SCT or Predator tune.

That way, if they ever look at the ECU flash (and they almost never do), it says that on X day the ECU was reflashed - yeah, no kidding - OASIS says that it was reflashed by Ford on that day.

Problem solved. And yeah, I would worry more about autoX and fooling with the wiring to install a T/C kill switch effing up my warranty than a tune.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts