Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purched an 04 Sonic Blue 5 door and was wondering how many of you guys run Mobil 1 or some other synthetic, I use it in my motorcycles and would like to run it in the SVT after the breakin period.. Your thoughts.... BTW, What a fun car, I have not had this much excitement since I was 18 and had a new 85 SVO!

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Svo ! nice car, I have two friends with them..The mobil 1 is great stuff, There have been some big oil discussions on here in the past, search them also, if you like,
BTW , without opening a can of worms, the mobile 1 is excellent for the car, it WILL fall short in the bike as it doesn't have the long chain molecule addidtive package for going through your transmission, you should use some motorcycle specific oil ( Spectro hondaline, motul, etc.) there is a difference in long term wear. BTW I am assuming you have a Japanese make of bike, if so, this info is correct ( H_D uses seperate tranny oil)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an 03 Honda A.C.E 750 and use the special formulated Mobil 1 for V-Twins. 7500 miles with no problems, but then again its a Honda...

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Nothing wrrong with the brightstock motorcraft stuff, darn good oil.. What happens is some of us are obsessed with running the best, even when we don't need it, I know I'm guilty on all counts on that one

·
Registered
170 Posts
You can't afford not to run a good syn oil. With a 24000 mile change frequency and added performance from less internal friction you will be saving money and gain a little more hp and mpg.. I know you are worried about warranty. but it is the motor manufacture that has to prove that your oil caused the problem. The 3000 mile oil change cycle is dead.

·
Registered
388 Posts
had one said:
You can't afford not to run a good syn oil. With a 24000 mile change frequency and added performance from less internal friction you will be saving money and gain a little more hp and mpg.. I know you are worried about warranty. but it is the motor manufacture that has to prove that your oil caused the problem. The 3000 mile oil change cycle is dead.
Synthetic Oil has less tendency to brake down, but it can still get just as dirty as conventional oil in the same amount of time. I would still follow your owners manual when it comes to oil change interval.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Spend a little extra, and change the oil as often as you can. Period. I've heard first-hand tales of Royal Purple making the best syn oil. I'll be trying this very shortly.

·
Registered
388 Posts
essveetee said:
Spend a little extra, and change the oil as often as you can. Period. I've heard first-hand tales of Royal Purple making the best syn oil. I'll be trying this very shortly.
i've heard good things from them also...never used it personally though.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Check out my thread called Oil and Oil Filters. There are some good links to sites that focus on oils and filters, with forums etc.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7293

They used Mobil 1 for 18,000 miles, sending off samples every 1,000 miles. I wouldn't use oil that long, even Amsoil with their 25,000 mile interval.

From one of the links, they say changing synthetic before 6000 miles is a waste. I plan to change to Mobil 1 and swap out oil between 4-6K miles.

I will also put some synth in the tranny, with a possible additive called Militec-1. I know this is a sore point with most people, but this stuff actually has a Mil Spec part number and is used by a lot of government agencies. NOTE: I will give someone a free bottle of militec if they do a baseline dyno run, add this stuff to the engine and tranny, run it in for 10 minutes or so, and dyno it again.

Think about this, if you could reduce friction in the engine and tranny by 1%, that would be 1.7 free HP! So, thats why I dont mind paying for full synth and will try proven additives.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Damn, Ray, if I had access to a dyno, I would take you up on your offer. Bottom line is that synthetic lubricants in the engine/tranny WILL yield some more power at the wheels due to reduced friction....how much is another story. But I'd love to find out.

If someone were to do this <please please please>, consider doing the following: baseline dyno run w/ stock fluids. dyno pull with synthetic engine oil (Amsoil, Royal Purple, Redline, etc.). dyno pull with synthetic oil in engine and tranny. It would also be great if we could see different oils, but I won't hold my breath for that. If I owned a shop with a dyno, I would definitely do this.

I'm willing to bet with good synthetic oils in the engine/tranny, you might pick up 1-3 whp. That is my guess...just a guess.

<edit> if possible, the dyno runs should be run back to back, preferrably without even taking the car off the dyno. The engine oil shouldn't be a problem. Tranny oil...might not be a problem from underneath, but I have yet to try that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I get this info from designers, mostly Chrysler but also a Toyota guy. It is also tempered a bit by what kind of driving you like. If you are good at changing your oil every 3K, you will get virtually no improvement from synthetic. Longer than that you will want a synthetic or synthetic blend. Remember your oil filter will last no longer than every 6K-8K (maybe less). So if you want to keep your oil and change your filter then go true synthetic.

I personally feel that if I'm going to change my filter might as well change my oil. Synthetic Blend is a lot cheaper than true synthetic, and just as good at this number of miles. Regular oil may start to break down in this time interval, so if you use that don't take it much past 3k.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I run Mobil 1 in both of my Foci , I change about every 5k ( its easier to remember than 3k), But then again I only put about 10k a year on mine and my wifes 02 I bought in Oct of 01 and it only has 22K on it. So I don't quite drive as much as I used to. Anyway I would recomend the Mobil 1, Royal purple is about twice as much as the Mobil 1 for our cars that don't really need it anyway. Be glad you don't drive an Enzo... Oil is $60 a quart ( I think it uses 12 ) and if you don't use it Ferrari won't warranty the engine !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts