Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ZTS has like..33k or so. I was thinking of putting Synthetic oil on my next oil change. I heard once you go synthetic you can't go back to regular oil. And winter is right around the corner. what's the advantage of putting synthetic oil?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
i like it :) im on a synthetic blend, engine runs smoother and very noticeably better gas mileage... in the winter i use 5w20 and then 5w30 in the summer

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
I am a big fan of synthetic oil, it will not hurt anything on your car, and I agree with euro, you may see improved power and milage, and the engine will def. have less wear over time.[thumb]

·
Registered
845 Posts
I've used Q. State pure synthetic for a few changes now, and I like the way my car drives with it. Is that first comment true about "once you go synthetic, you can't go back"? I've heard this before, but it doesn't make since to me since they sell synthetic blends.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
There were some early synthetic oils that could not be combined with regular base stock oils, thats why the truth is that most synthetics on the market are blends , so they can be combined with other oils in a pinch. So to answer your question, you can change back if you want later, but trust me you will not want to, the reason we all use this high dollar stuff is that it really works!

·
Registered
845 Posts
thanks Bill...I figured no one would "want" to change back, but it's nice to know the oil won't coagulate into goo when mixed if it's necissary to switch for some unforseen reason.

BTW: on a side note...I've personally seen some antifreeze that does this when mixed, so be careful what you put in folks.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
i dunno i can't bring my self to pay for full syn so i just run 5w20 blended Motorcraft

·
Registered
845 Posts
Euro...I still have my Turbo Tornado installed...lol
I don't honestly believe it does anything, but I like telling people I have it...it's a funny conversation piece. "It spins the air for better combustion!!" hahahaha[thumb]

·
Registered
845 Posts
actually, i bought a short ram intake and didn't like it, so I went back to the stock box. The short ram got too hot to be beneficial, and actually made my car sluggish. It was an ebay, so I kinda expected that...the rubber elbow at the TB is flexible and when hot got even more flexible and sorta collapsed under WOT....it sucked!! I had it on less than a day. If/when I get something else, I'll probably get a Volant.

off topic: if I get my cams/gears installed and dyno tuned, will I need to retune if I get a new intake, or if I were to get UDP? Or will the computer compensate like it does now? Also, I'd like a new chip, but I think I'll wait until I get a supercharger since I have a 5-speed, and don't think it changes anything but my top speed (or does it do more than that?).

·
Registered
123 Posts
Maybe I am wrong. But the reason I have always been told and have been told by MANY mechanics on why you shouldn't go back to normal oil after using a synthetic for a while, or moving a high mileage motor to syn. Is because of the seals. Is that you can actually cause oil leaks in switching oils like that. I was told that if your gonna move to synthetic do it within the first few changes. Or if your gonna do it in a higher mileage car. You need to do it slowly by blending the oils togather. for a while and slowly moving your car over to full synthetic.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
That statement could have been true as little as 8 to 10 years ago, but as far as I am aware, all the name brand synthetics on the market today will not cause leaks as long as the relative weight of the oil stays the same.. 2050 for 2050 not 5w40 for 20 50....There should be no problems in that area nowadays..However, many of the synthetics are not to be used until the motor is fully broken in, some argue as much as 4,000 miles, because the oil will not allow the engine to break in properly

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
beo thatd be a good question for an oil prof. i can imagine a few dif things happening

OT... Gon: it wont be necessary to tune cam gears after an intake. u should get an intake before either way IMO, rams do kinda suck, seriously, get the volant or ice mane :) as far as the chip, if u get cams u will want it because it can raise ur idle. install the cams without the chip and u'll see why ud benefit

·
Registered
845 Posts
sry..OT again: Well, Euro, I don't think I can wait too long after I purchase my cams to get them installed, and I'm running out of money for other parts (for now [thumb] ). I guess I'll get to experience first hand what this is gonna be like. I already have problems with my idle. I think I may have that fuel pump problem (I have 2000 Foc). My idle drops too low in neutral and my car stalls....can't I raise my idle with the idle screw without a chip?....I know my "ram-air" is ghetto and isn't the best way to go, but it IS getting more cool air to my TB for now and it's an obvious difference in pedal feel without it. I'm working towards a SC!![8D] (I want it BAD!!!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts