Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when im switching from second to third fast my tranny grinds but if i switch slow it dont. and if i switch from fourth to third it grinds but if i hold in the clutch and move the shifter from fourth to second and then to third and then release the clutch it doesnt grind. i heard its the syncro. if so what is that and how much to fix and can it get worse?[ffrocks]

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
It is fairly common for the MTX-75 to have the syncro for third gear go out. I am sure there are quite a few members on here that will tell you how much it is.

·
Get The Hammer!
1,687 Posts
Just throw in a new tranny, Unless you want to rebuild it with a lsd diff and a different final drive.

Heres a fun read, http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1710381#post1710381

If you do not let it grind it, it will not get worst quickly. If you want to try to extend the time till you need a new tranny or rebuild you could try changing the tranny fluid. An unlikely fix is adjusting your shift linkage.

·
Registered
431 Posts
well my 3rd is grinding ive gotten a syncro replaced and it still did it so either they lied and said they did or my shit is just [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] up and i drove it grinding into 3rd everday for at least 5 or 6 months and when they took it apart they said there was nothing wrong lol so man i would just buy a new one or rebuild it maybe just replacing a syncro will work for you but it hasnt for me lol ... oh and on price it helps to have a full warranty with no deductible lol so i dont know what the price is sry lol i didnt pay shit

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
I have a spare tranny that was recently rebuilt if anyone wants one.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
but of course :p

make me an offer i cant refuse

·
Registered
6 Posts
Biggest g,
Have 100,000 on Escape 5spd that started doing that at 80,000; my answer.
Double clutch it. It works. In everyday driving double clutching will add lots of miles to the life of the running gear. Wind it tight and shift it slow.
It will save your synchro. Replace old clutch hydro fluid too.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
edit, take it to PMs this isnt the place to do this

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
BEST QUESTION THAT HAS YET TO BE ASKED!!!!!!

HAVE YOU DRAINED ANS REFILLED THE TRANSMISSION FLUID LIKE YOUR SUPPOSED TO EVERY 30,000 MILES???

and question number 2

HAVE YOU RE ADJUSTED THE SHIFT CABLES??

it might not be the synchros in the tranny but loos cables and bad fluid will make it do that. i did a drain and refill myself and it immedialy improved things a fair bit. i still have to re adjsut my cables but i'm getting new ones (had to mcguyver a couple things so they need replaceing) doing this woill also help out i think.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Another thing you should do is flush out your slave cylinder with fresh fluid. Old old old fluid in there car make the slave cylinder push on the pressure plate slower, and with less force as old fluid compresses a lot more than fresh stuff. Get that fluid bled and see if it improves. I bet it will.

·
Get The Hammer!
1,687 Posts
BEST QUESTION THAT HAS YET TO BE ASKED!!!!!!

HAVE YOU DRAINED ANS REFILLED THE TRANSMISSION FLUID LIKE YOUR SUPPOSED TO EVERY 30,000 MILES???

and question number 2

HAVE YOU RE ADJUSTED THE SHIFT CABLES??

it might not be the synchros in the tranny but loos cables and bad fluid will make it do that. i did a drain and refill myself and it immedialy improved things a fair bit. i still have to re adjsut my cables but i'm getting new ones (had to mcguyver a couple things so they need replaceing) doing this woill also help out i think.
uh, did you notice I asked that?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts