Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I have noticed that sometimes my second gear grinds and I have diagnosed it to be the Synchros. Only problem is that I can't find new parts for this anywhere, any advice?

I know most say just get a used trans, but i really hate risking if it even works or not.

·
Grey Friar
605 Posts
Yep, Ford really screwed-the-pooch on SVTF parts... no trans rebuild possible, no trans parts available, no information about trans internals available... bush league, even worse than GM and Chrysler!!!

·
Grey Friar
605 Posts
From what I've been able to gather there are differences in the bearings for one of the gear sets shafts, between the Mini and the Ford Getrags... and the ST170s still suffer from being Fords... no parts.

·
Registered
194 Posts
IIRC the Mt285 in the 06 and up Cooper s uses lower gearing. So that's always a plus! The transmission in the svt is touchy. Have you changed you fluid yet?? A little bit of a grind is not the end of the world.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No I haven't changed it yet, I have decided to just go that direction though. I would have had the trans fluid changed 2 weeks ago but I ain't trusting any off brand or anything besides Motorcraft, but no dealer is within hr and a half and I just don't have time to go.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well no but I seen this a day or 2 ago and was gonna try it sometime. Do all you do is flip the piece?

·
Registered
513 Posts
A few years ago (and years, not months) there was a debate on the correct trans fluid vs 'my idea is better than the factory' fluid. This is not an "I told you so" but when anyone/everyone who must go through this trouble gets a rebuild done...this is why we should all use the correct rated and specified fluid. NOTE: I did not say correct "BRAND." I left links of a few different brands in the other thread. Let's not rehash an old argument but instead let's help each other do things right.

My first-hand experience with an early 90s Ranger wasn't a good one. I had one with a 5-speed. The original owner put in GL-5 because he knew is it was 'better' when it should have had GL-4 and the synchronizers eroded badly. I got it fixed then drove it close to 10 years. Some of you will think I'm arguing brand or Ford dealer purchased vs aftermarket - NOT the case here. I'm talking specification.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts