Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so now i have decided it is a major problem i have a 2002 zx3 and i changed the dif to a quaife. the lsd is acting awesome but i think my synchros are screwed up. it shifts ok when i am just crusing but if i nail it and try to shift fast at high rpms it dont want to go in. in 2nd and grind like shit in third. and i know i have the clutch al the way down. how do i fix this. i already have the royal purple synchromesh but i cant race at all because of this. please help.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's common for 2-3gear syncro to go out. The only thing I did was try to learn how to drive without grinding. You have to feel for third in my car. Syncros are cheap from Tousely Ford(I think his name was Steve) You can do a search and find his info. He sells parts %10 over costs.

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
is it grinding to the point of no engagement? if thats the case you must have a stock shifter..i have been grinding into third when powershifting ever since i got my car pretty much..but it has never gotten to the point where it wont just chirp its way in..in a buddy of mines though, she had a stock shifter and there was no way in hell you would find 3rd in a race, i dunno if this is just amyth, but i think short throws will get it in there even if it grinds [dunno] good luck though

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i do have a short thrwo and it did help that problem when i put it in but i have had that in a long time now. and now i put in my quaife and then all of a sudden i am haveing all sorts of problems with my tranny that shouldnt be associtaed with what i did. i am stumped.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
You could have a problem with the linkage not being installed correctly or out of adjustment. I know that while mine was in warranty I had it in the dealer about four times for linkage adjustment because it would randomly kick out of 5th gear if I let off the gas. Did you tighten the two plastic collars down (the ones that hold the linkage cable to the bracket on top of the gearbox) sufficently?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes but we did try to adjust them later but wasnt able to get them to move. i pushed and yanked for a while they just would not move.[dunno]

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
i had mine done under warranty i was grinding them bad that they had to replace the gear.

i need to go back this week since the 2nd gear is now shot.

on the bill it was a synchro, gear, some kind of ring&pinion i think, something else and new fluid as the parts required. i've posted it on FJ before

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
SkaAddict said:
^
You could have a problem with the linkage not being installed correctly or out of adjustment. I know that while mine was in warranty I had it in the dealer about four times for linkage adjustment because it would randomly kick out of 5th gear if I let off the gas?

mine went out exactly 4 times, 2ce in 5th and 2ce in third...wait...5 times..again in the bottom gears (2nd and 4th) finally once my car was outa warranty they didnt break anymore lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts