Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've recently picked up a 65 plate (late 2015 early 2016) focus 1.5 tdci. I love almost everything about it.

Except for the stereo.

I've come from owning an android auto head unit and my phone connected seamlessly to it, allowing me to do a lot of things from messaging to song selection, so coming to the sync2 unit which I understand doesnt support android auto. It's a big step down.

I'm not sure how to check my installed version, but the ford site says I have no updates available, but I've read elsewhere that they sometimes just dont make updates available that work perfectly fine. I really dont feel good about pulling the car apart to install another HU, so what are my options?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I recently upgraded my 2012 SEL to Sync1 version 4.6 and found out afterwards that it broke the ability to use iOS Siri when connected by bluetooth. I'm looking now to downgrading to 4.4 which I understand works.

Perhaps your issue is similar; maybe a downgrade will resolve.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont have the ability to use android auto at all unfortunately. I'm currently on myfordtouch but I'm unsure how to check the version number. All I know is the ford website doesnt offer any upgrades.

Any way you might know to make it work? It's crazy to think that a newer version of sync (mft is sync2 I think) has less functionality

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm not sure about Sync2 however in Sync1, from memory, I think the path is o Menu>Settings>System Information to see the version number.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll give that a go and see what comes up. I'm assuming there might be a place to grab different versions that's not the ford site? I know what some manufacturers can be like only releasing newer versions to US etc.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm currently seeking out the zip file for version 4.4 if you happen to come across it. If anyone else here has one please let me know.

I'm curious to know if it was the same file for all Fords equipped with sync or if each model had it's own version. The F150 crowd seems to have retained copies of older versions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah itll be interesting to see. I mean surely apart from certain vehicle specific features, the software should be pretty similar.

I just miss android auto in the car. It was far more responsive than MFT and had a lot more features, I just cant bring myself to pull the dash apart to install it because of what I paid for the car lol.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm somewhat the same with Siri. I use voice commands through Siri all the time and now when connected to Sync it doesn't work at all. I have to turn off bluetooth to get it to work through the phone. Someone on another forum labelled it as "Siri being neutered".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm somewhat the same with Siri. I use voice commands through Siri all the time and now when connected to Sync it doesn't work at all. I have to turn off bluetooth to get it to work through the phone. Someone on another forum labelled it as "Siri being neutered".
See it's crazy that sync1 supports siri, yet it seems to have been removed in sync2. Youd think that advancements in tech would give you more features, not less.

I loved my Sony unit in my old car and it did everything I wanted, but with the risk of avoiding warranties etc, I'm not sure about it, plus it means buying a new HU

·
Registered
167 Posts
I haven't found a source yet for the 4.4 and haven't come across anything but the 4.6 which is causing me issues. 4.6 is readily available from the ford owners website.

Maybe other android users running the most current version of Sync 2 MFT can chime in and give you an idea on what android functions work on the newest version. I think you are looking specifically for Android Auto to work; is that correct? From what I've read you have to have Sync3 for Android Auto or Apple Carplay. There are threads within this forum documenting how to upgrade to Sync3 using a system from a newer donor car. Perhaps you should look at those.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I haven't found a source yet for the 4.4 and haven't come across anything but the 4.6 which is causing me issues. 4.6 is readily available from the ford owners website.

Maybe other android users running the most current version of Sync 2 MFT can chime in and give you an idea on what android functions work on the newest version. I think you are looking specifically for Android Auto to work; is that correct? From what I've read you have to have Sync3 for Android Auto or Apple Carplay. There are threads within this forum documenting how to upgrade to Sync3 using a system from a newer donor car. Perhaps you should look at those.
I think I found the Sync 1 version 4.4. Here's a link >>https://www.dropbox.com/s/wplrmwgr0xrk46f/A C - Gen1v441buildEE309Fupdatefromv421FpackageRev2.zip?dl=0

The file name is the same as noted in the comments of the YouTube video named "Follow up to: Siri not working with Ford Sync 4.6 (Siri works after downgrade to 4.4)" pertaining to a 2013 Ford Focus however the links were broken. I found this file on the Ford Fusion forum. I'm going to try it and see if I can get Siri working again.

Edit: ... and the installation failed. Message states not enough space or file not compatible. I was using a 32GB thumb drive so space is not the issue.

·
Registered
167 Posts
No luck finding 4.4 for the Focus Sync 1 as everywhere I look I end up with the advise to bring it to the dealer. I'm not paying!

I did find a workaround for using 4.6 with the iPhone; specifically using Siri voice control.

1. "Hey Siri turn off bluetooth"
  2. Use Siri voice control for the task you looking for (hands free)
  3. "Hey Siri turn on bluetooth"
  4. Select the phone button on the radio to re-connect Sync to your iPhone.
I should note that I use a magnetic mount for my iPhone and it is mounted to my dash. The above would not work if your iPhone is in the console or tucked in a bag.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts