Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried using search but luck. My daughter has a new to her 09 ses . On the sync my ride web page says that a dealer installed sync update is available. My question is it possible to update yourself or is it necessary that the dealer do it? If yes would the update be available for download?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks wickedgreyzx3. I think that link is for mk3(2012 and up). This is what I get, hope I get it right

Attachments

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Hi boonne!

Some updates and upgrades do require a dealer visit. More than likely, there's an upgrade to her SYNC system that adds features, which a dealership will have to install. If there's a self install update available, the page you posted will say "You have a SYNC update available for download." Let me know if you have any questions!

Rebecca

·
Registered
102 Posts
sounds like a upgrade deal. how new to her is it? take it back to the store and have dem check it out if you didn't buy it off craigslist

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Rebecca and Travons03 guess that clears thing up a little. Here is a c&p from what's in this update. It doesn't sound like much of a upgrade.

What's included in this update?
9L2T-14D544-BF Gen1 - V2.1.4

In an effort to continually improve our SYNC® system, we are pleased to advise that you have a new software update available for immediate download. This new software will provide the following enhancements to your current SYNC® system:
- Bluetooth auto-connection improvement.
- Media player reliability.
- Voice Recognition improvements to recognize names entered with all CAPS.
- Voice Recognition enhancements that will decrease the chance of calling the wrong person.
- Add customer assistance phone number to Help prompts.

Please Read: This update may take up to 20 minutes to complete. About 1 to 3 minute after you begin the installation, you will hear an Installation Complete message. DO NOT REMOVE YOUR USB DRIVE OR TURN OFF YOUR VEHICLE. You must wait up to an additional 20 minutes until you receive a second Installation Complete message before removing your USB drive. During this interval, while the update is loading, SYNC® will not recognize your mobile phone or media device. Be sure your vehicle engine is running (not in accessory mode) throughout the entire installation process. Although your vehicle must be in park when you initiate the installation process, once the download process has begun, you may drive your vehicle.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just performed the update to my Sync as described above (v2.1.4) about a week ago. It adds some enhancements to the display, and it seems to have some improvements in how the menu navigates. Subtle and hard to describe, but better, and alights with the claimed "enhancements". Also, the text message display functionality works now, it never worked for me before. I stream via bluetooth from my phone a lot, and sometimes at first there would be some hiccups when first starting to play the file. Seems more stable now.

I did it by logging on to the website and downloading to a flash drive. It took 5-10 minutes. After you do the update in your car, you need to take the flash drive back to your pc, log back on to myford, and it will prompt you to upload a log file that was created during the update. Myford.com then knows you did the update and it shows up in your profile. To me it was worth the time, it improves Sync, and I'm using Sync more than I used to.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your help. Unfortunately the cost of a dealer installed update is just not worth it. My daughter hasn't complained that her sync was acting up, so best to leave it alone. Perhaps when and if the update becomes downloadable we will give a try.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
If her car is still on version 1, it won't become available online since it adds features that she doesn't have yet. Do you have her VIN handy? If so, shoot it over in a PM and I'll take a look.

Rebecca

1 - 11 of 11 Posts