Focus Fanatics Forum banner

441 - 460 of 513 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
And while looking at the compatibility list on the Sync page - I find it strange that Sync has no Nokia Windows phones that support the SMS Text Messaging feature.

Really? One would think that a company that Microsoft was in bed with and later purchase, would make devices that worked on a system that has a Microsoft badge on it on the console.

I know, my N920 worked fine for the text feature with Windows 8.0 in both the Ford and the Benz, and now after the 8.1 upgrade neither work.

Nobody say iPhone - because that never worked (and never would, according to the folks at Apple).

Back to Android?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nobody say iPhone - because that never worked (and never would, according to the folks at Apple).

Back to Android?
??? My iPhone works great! And now with iOS8, after I tell Sync to read me my text message, and I say "Hey Siri, reply to ... and can send texts this way. Perfect!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Well, I know when I first got my Focus, the iPhone only was good for calls, no texts while in the car. And the Apple store genius bar folks said that would be the case.

Same in the Benz too - the iPhone only does calls, no reading of texts or replying to them.

But the bigger news is I found someone who was in the same situation, and he resolved it by deleting the phone in both cars....then doing a factory reset on the phone.

automatic reading of texts and able to reply back is now back working in both cars for me.

The reset of the phone did however render a few apps to become dead...no longer supported on 8.1.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't think there is anything at this time. I *think* Siri works exactly the same way (I may be wrong).

Right now I think the only option is to call Cortana for Windows Phone 8.1 update 1 (in beta still?). I could be wrong though and there might be other options.

You can but it's not "elegant". I'm sure you can do the same with an Android as you can with an iPhone. I just hit the voice button on the steering wheel, and say "Hey Siri....", the sync system says wrong command (or something) and then you will hear Siri take over. I do this for navigation via my iPhone without touching the car. I did this by accident one day, and now do this to talk with Siri. But honestly holding down the home button on the phone is just as easy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is or was there going to be a major update for the 2012 Focus by the end of the year? I remember back in Jan or so they announced a major update for us by the end of the year. It is so hard to search for this specific update so i am asking on here. Thanks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Try this:

First Step... on your PC

Open Notepad in Windows... or any pure text editor NOT a word processor.

Create a list of 15 and ONLY 15 text messages.

No blank lines at beginning or end of the file.

Do NOT use word/line wrap and press Enter at the end of each message only.

I assume there is a funky length limit... like 140 characters, but none of mine busted it so not sure.

Save the file as text message.txt and then copy it to your USB drive. I use one for my music collection so I just put it on that one. Any USB thumb drive will work. BUT... remember the other Sync "bug"... it MUST be formatted at FAT32... exFAT and NTFS do NOT work in Sync.

Next... in the Car

Insert your USB drive and give it a minute to load/index.

Go to Phone, Messaging and either Send or Reply.

To set mine up, I just started to Send a message to anyone, cause you can just cancel out without sending once you've finished updating the list.

You will see an "Update" button at the bottom-right below the Send, Edit, etc.

Press the Update button.

A screen will pop up listing your USB drive. Click that and select your text message.txt file you just created.

A few status pop ups later... COOL... new messages!

Found this on another forum.

Thanks, I think I must try this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
hey guys, just got into a 08 SES, which is supposed to have SYNC... right?

well the thing is, that is is seemingly non-existent in my vehicle. the only confirmation that the system is even in the car is that, when I hit the phone button on the center console, it reads " no phone" . I cant get "add phone" or any other functions to appear, Hell the ONLY options I can find in the "menu" are RCBS* (or whatever) and the Auto Presets*, that's all. absolutely nothing else. I'm so confused here. My dad bought the car from a VW dealer, could it be that they were lazy and messed up the computer's compatibility with the SYNC system, possibly because they didn't install the software properly?

oh and it doesn't even show any recognition when I insert a USB device.

PLEASE HELP! and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Hyundai's are excellent quality cars, no doubt, but Fords just handle better and that's more important to me... and if you think you hate SYNC that much let me tell you about a few us of that happen to kinda not like the transmission! ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
After a ton of internet seaching. I finally. By mistake. Found random post on a random thread on a random site. With a dude having the same problem. Said he just pulled the fuse for 3 minutes with the car ON. Will try this tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Hi Titus,

It may not have SYNC. Shoot me the VIN in a private message and I'll check for you. :)

Rebecca

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hyundai's are excellent quality cars, no doubt, but Fords just handle better and that's more important to me... and if you think you hate SYNC that much let me tell you about a few us of that happen to kinda not like the transmission! ;)
I agree with you about handling, Ford handles better.
I don't hate SYNC at all, but I hate that Ford not considering (at least at the time of announcement) upgrade from SYNC 2 to 3 as an option to existing customers, especially when you already know it is possible and can be done:
http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=128950
I was fortunate so far with my DCT, after last software update it handles well, except trailing/hitching effect when about to stop, but I got used to it and know how to manage that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've loved every second of driving my Focus but the radio and Sync System (not MFT) have been an absolute nightmare.

Granted, it hasn’t tried to kill me yet and if it decides to work it works well enough. But IF is a big keyword there. I can get into the car and say “USB Play” it’ll either work the first try, or say USB not connected (it is), indexing please wait (what? again?), or index full some songs not available. And I pretty much have to use the voice commands because otherwise switching from AUX in to USB is like a 6 step process that I didn’t figure out how to fumble though until recently. Also the voice commands are hit or miss.

I say “Phone Call Mom Cell” …”CALLING NICOLE ON CELL” I don’t know how Nicole=Mom but I swear this happens 3/4 times I try to call my mom. It's also recently started crossing "Victoria" and "Chris" for some reason.

Oh then there was the “w” incident… It started when I was driving and decided to change the music with voice.
“Play track “What’s Up””
“PLAYING TRACK WHAT’S UP” and then Wheel in the Sky starts playing… Confused I look at the screen
“Now Playing SO: What’s Up AR: 4 Non Blondes”
So I try an again. “Play track “What’s Up””
“PLAYING TRACK WHAT’S UP” and then Wheel in the Sky starts playing… screen “Now Playing SO: What’s Up AR: 4 Non Blondes”
So I try to experiment “Play track Wheel in the Sky”
“PLAYING TRACK WHEEL IN THE SKY” and then “When I Come Around” starts playing. Screen says “SO: Wheel in the Sky AR: Journey.” Later I figured out that it was playing the next song alphabetically from the song I had requested. Why? Still don’t know. Best part, it only happened with songs that started with the letter w. I asked for Spirit of Radio, it played Spirit of Radio. That problem seemed to resolve itself… still don’t know why.

So now I like to entertain myself by yelling obscene things into the track listing and seeing what plays. “Play track YOU STUPID [email protected]#&!”
“PLAYING TRACK EMINENCE FRONT” …why it started playing “Best of You” after that I don’t know but at least the screen matched this time.

Usually when it gets really bad I perform a manual reset. Not a master reset through the interface, that never works but actually climb under the passenger side dash and pull the fuse. Then it'll usually start working again. I've done this 3 times so far. Last week the thing started freezing on the "INDEXING..." Screen when I switch to USB. It'll still play if I control from the phone but the screen won't do anything. The voice commands sort of work but probably miss like 80% of the time often registering that I didn't say anything at all.

Am I the only one having these problems or is this just what happens when Microsoft builds a radio?

441 - 460 of 513 Posts