Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...doing ok on Focus #2 here. It now has more miles on it than Focus #1 did when it died.

One annoying problem though...I have the non-MFT system w/ iPhone, and for the past few days when I give the "Call Lastname Firstname" command, the system has gotten the name wrong every time.

Looks like this is a common issue on the Ford SYNC forums...and requires pulling the SYNC fuse to fix it. Anyone else having this problem and come up with a more permanent solution?

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
Hey all...doing ok on Focus #2 here. It now has more miles on it than Focus #1 did when it died.

One annoying problem though...I have the non-MFT system w/ iPhone, and for the past few days when I give the "Call Lastname Firstname" command, the system has gotten the name wrong every time.

Looks like this is a common issue on the Ford SYNC forums...and requires pulling the SYNC fuse to fix it. Anyone else having this problem and come up with a more permanent solution?
If you search the forums here, there are many threads regarding this.

Please call you dealership and schedule your Sync update to version 2.11

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
FIRST visit (if you haven't already) www.syncmyride.com. register.

register your phone. under the "features" tab see if our phone is a known good phone.

if all of these things have been done and you have visited your wireless provider and verified your phone has the latest software, visit your dealer and see if there is an update for sync.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Misfire...no offense, but over the last few months I've found that the guys in my service dept. don't know $hit from shine-ola when it comes to the electronics in my new cars (2012 Focus and 2011 Fiesta). I'm hoping to know what the solution is before I go in there so they don't have to take stabs in the dark while my car rots away in their parking lot again.

- Already registered @ syncmyride
- Already checked that my AT&T iPhone 3G is "SYNC Certified Standard"
- Already verified that my iPhone OS is the latest version
- Already ran the version checker on syncmyride.com - shows I have version 3.1.1, and no files/updates available for download

Given the nightmare I went through with Focus #1 (in the shop for over 30 days when I finally got fed up and traded it in), I was hoping to avoid another trip to the service department if possible - especially if they don't have a known fix for this issue.

Can anyone confirm that there is a newer version than 3.1.1 available at a dealership?

Does anyone have a DIY solution for this?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Speak the name the same way it is saved in your phone. I'm not sure about the iphone, but my ipodtouch contact list is first name last name, not last name first name.

Try that?

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
misfire...no offense, but over the last few months i've found that the guys in my service dept. Don't know $hit from shine-ola when it comes to the electronics in my new cars (2012 focus and 2011 fiesta). I'm hoping to know what the solution is before i go in there so they don't have to take stabs in the dark while my car rots away in their parking lot again.

- already registered @ syncmyride
- already checked that my at&t iphone 3g is "sync certified standard"
- already verified that my iphone os is the latest version
- already ran the version checker on syncmyride.com - shows i have version 3.1.1, and no files/updates available for download

given the nightmare i went through with focus #1 (in the shop for over 30 days when i finally got fed up and traded it in), i was hoping to avoid another trip to the service department if possible - especially if they don't have a known fix for this issue.

Can anyone confirm that there is a newer version than 3.1.1 available at a dealership?

Does anyone have a diy solution for this?
syncmyride.com will tell you your software level and where it should be. If you pm me your vin i can run it and tell you.

·
Registered
132 Posts
hawkdog -

Here's a cheap way that might get that contact to work.

There's probably a name in your contact list close to the one you want to call. What you might want to do is edit the name to be more unique. I hypothesize that Sync think it scores your voice shape to the sound analysis of the contacts, so if the scoring analysis of your voice pulls up two of your contacts close in score, it will have issues. So if you're friend is "John Doe", per se, insert a nickname or a title or a middle initial to make it more unique...

"Dr. John Doe" (First: Dr. John Last: Doe)
"John A. Doe" (First: John A. Last: Doe)
"John Doe, Junior" (First John Last: Doe, Junior)

Hopefully that'll solve the problem. Make sure you download your phonebook new first and have it reanalyze it for voice scoring before you try this out. Although my phone is an Android (Droid Incredible), I think it should work for most phones. Let me know if this works!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Misfire: PM sent

MG: Already tried that. Up until a few days ago it was working perfectly fine.

descent: Already tried that as well. Two of my contacts are "Mom" and "Dad", and it can't even get those right. It is totally screwed up. If I say "call Dad" it will come back with "Call some random name? Yes or no?"

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
note to all:

SYNC Server Maintenance August 13-14 Will Impact Owner Websites & Serviceability of SYNC Modules

Ford Motor Company will be conducting maintenance on the servers that support SYNCMyRide.com, MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch software delivery between August 13, 5:00 AM EST and August 14, 4:00 PM EST.

Dealers will be unable to perform SYNC module updates, upgrades, or replacements until server migration is complete. This includes replacement APIM modules requiring programming.

Customers will be unable to access www.SYNCMyRide.com and certain SYNC-related pages on www.lincolnowner.com and www.fordowner.com will also be unavailable. A standard maintenance message and instructions will be posted to these sites. All other SYNC customer In-Vehicle experiences such TDI (Traffic, Directions and Information) and SYNC Services (such as weather, sport, etc.) WILL NOT be impacted.

·
Registered
132 Posts
That's really weird...

More possible things I can think of...

1. I assume you've already tried it, but I'll put it here anyway. Master reset sync and and resync your phone to redownload phonebook.

2. When calling out a name, add an identifier... i.e. "Dad on Cell", "Mom at home"

3. After resetting sync, rename your phone before reconnecting, and see if a the iphone is recognized differently.

4. Try downloading your phonebook via USB Drive using Sync My Phone on the Sync Website. Perhaps it might be a phonebook transfer problem. This could become a hassle when you're adding contacts to your phone list frequently, but worth a shot.

5. Have a friend sync his/her phone into the system. See if he/she has the same problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have iPhone 4 and some names it just can not get. It's the same with my Bluetooth Some it will get and some it will not. Sync is better than most but it's not perfect. For example. My daughter is Katelyn and it always says (cat a lynn) To call my work which is under contact dispatch. I have to say dissss patch. Lol. It's stupid but just the way it is. Just my 2 cents anyways

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I deleted the phone from sync and re-added it. Phone book voice commands seem to be working fine again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts