Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I bought my first car ( that was newer than 25 years old) back in december, a 2013 ford focus SE. I love the car and it's amazing. Here recently I've been noticing some issues. ..

Obviously sync has issues so I won't even start there. So starting just this week actually, it's been having issues starting. Like I have to crank it 2-3 times. No clicking or noise just doesn't do anything. I don't think it's battery because everything starts up and turns on fine the engine just won't turn over, when the key is turned the dash lights slightly dim but I don't hear any sounds being made by the engine. I want to say that's just due to this crazy cold (us Texans arnt used to it lol) but not sure.

And now today when I turned it off after school, the radio went instantly off instead of when the door was opened and the gauges where going crazy. They where trying to point down below the bottom of where they should sit when the vehicle is off. Then on the drive to work the screen by the gauges would beep and say hill start assist not available, then immediately dissappear the light and everything just on an off. I've never used hill start assist so I'm not sure what's going on here.

I should be under warrenty, there's only 17 thousand miles on the car. I don't see why it's starting to have issues all of a sudden. Has anyone else had these issues?

Thanks for any replies and sorry if format is awful on mobile

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved this to the MkIII TSB, recalls & problems section.

Sync aside, the starting troubles seem like they may be a TCM issue particularly with the "hill start assist" message - seen that pop up before when TCM issues showed.

It CAN be as simple as a poor battery ground, or as deep as needing a new TCM.

You can find more info in this area, Ford just extended the warranty on this BTW (fresh stickie on that).

TCM needs to go through a pre-start routine to set the trans correctly for starting - that's the noises some worry about on opening the door. If this doesn't happen, it won't start.

Def. an item you want to get checked/fixed under warranty.

Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for moving it, just learned of this site yesterday, haven't made it all the way around the different forums.
I heard about the new recall or service alert just the other day, but I haven't had the time off to make it by the dealership yet. I plan on going by as soon as my next day off.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Just a new warranty extension, helps with peace of mind in case of a problem with that unit.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hey guys, I bought my first car ( that was newer than 25 years old) back in december, a 2013 ford focus SE. I love the car and it's amazing. Here recently I've been noticing some issues. ..

Obviously sync has issues so I won't even start there. So starting just this week actually, it's been having issues starting. Like I have to crank it 2-3 times. No clicking or noise just doesn't do anything. I don't think it's battery because everything starts up and turns on fine the engine just won't turn over, when the key is turned the dash lights slightly dim but I don't hear any sounds being made by the engine. I want to say that's just due to this crazy cold (us Texans arnt used to it lol) but not sure.

And now today when I turned it off after school, the radio went instantly off instead of when the door was opened and the gauges where going crazy. They where trying to point down below the bottom of where they should sit when the vehicle is off. Then on the drive to work the screen by the gauges would beep and say hill start assist not available, then immediately dissappear the light and everything just on an off. I've never used hill start assist so I'm not sure what's going on here.

I should be under warrenty, there's only 17 thousand miles on the car. I don't see why it's starting to have issues all of a sudden. Has anyone else had these issues?

Thanks for any replies and sorry if format is awful on mobile
Welcome to the forum!

I want to dive into your different concerns and see how I can best assist. Please send me a private message with your VIN, updated mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For an update.
I took my car into the dealership today, so far it was just the battery. They said the battery was rated at 590 but was Showing at 430. So after a quick charge it seems to be doing okay.
Thank for you guys help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts