Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize in advance if this has been covered but I searched the forum and didn't find anything specific to Sync/MFT, just non-MFT Sync issues. When I plug my 120gb iPod classic in via USB (with about 80gb of music) everything seems to go fine. It seemed to have indexed fine, when I go check some artist and song properties on random music the file structure seems solid. I ran Sync my iPod before plugging it in for the first time. It initally found and fixed 100+ errors. Running it again it came up clean.

The problem I'm having is that the basic commands seem to go fine (next, repeat, etc.) It is the play commands (play artist, play album, play song) that it seems not to "hear". "Play Artist XXX" - silence. "Play song XXX" - silence. "Play Album XXX" - silence. After 3-4 tries it tells me to ask for a list of commands, help, or say "Browse" and it brings everything up on the screen and tells me to browse from there.

Any ideas? Am I missing something simple? (new car so it has the most recent Sync/MFT versions).

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you at MFT 2.11?

Look here where this was talked about..
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260219&page=7

There are other threads, but this is the one I can find right now.
Yep, car isn't even a week old so MFT 2.11. I did look through many different threads and could not find anything specific to this issue. So much of the USB command list works fine by voice but just this select set of "Play" commands fail. I do get the "Building Media Commands" message quite frequently when the USB (iPod) is the active media source.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Follow the link....there are a couple of ford customer care people in it.

You might want to PM them and see if they are aware of the issue.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Even if the car is only a week in your possession, it still could have v2.10 depending on date of manufacture. I picked mine up on 8/12 (this is day 4 with the car), it was built the end of June, and arrived at the dealership with v2.10. I had them upgrade it before I'd even accept delivery. So be sure to check for yourself.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even if the car is only a week in your possession, it still could have v2.10 depending on date of manufacture. I picked mine up on 8/12 (this is day 4 with the car), it was built the end of June, and arrived at the dealership with v2.10. I had them upgrade it before I'd even accept delivery. So be sure to check for yourself.
I'm sure. Showed up with version info in syncmyride before it even shipped so I knew before it headed out what it had (build date 7/29).

One thing I have not tried is a different USB source for music. Just haven't had a ton of time to play around with this yet but I do have a bunch of old thumb drives and a couple of hard drives I've yanked from various pieces of hardware (PS3s, laptops, etc.) and bought cases for. I do still need to test if this is specific to Sync/MFT/my iPod or if it is media through the USB port in general.

I picked mine up 8/11 so I have a WHOPPING one day more experience than you under my belt (just kidding) but do want to resolve this. Phone, climate, AM/FM, Sirius all seem to be going well from a voice command perspective(haven't had a need for Nav yet so I don't know there) and I want to switch out of Novice mode on Sync but I don't want to until I resolve this particular issue. The rest of the voice functions I am quite comfortable with now though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have had less issues with music on a USB drive than my iPhone.

But my iPhone is connected BT for calls so if it is connected both ways it starts acting funky some times.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm sure. Showed up with version info in syncmyride before it even shipped so I knew before it headed out what it had (build date 7/29).

I like being able to check which version/build is installed before the vehicle even arrives.

·
Registered
781 Posts
It had been advised do not connect your iPhone up via USB and BlueTooth at the same time, unpredictable results may occur.

I can say I haven't had any issues with MFT yet, other than it being pretty slow. My mp3 files are loaded onto a SD card so I even skip the USB (though I'm sure the card reader is connected via USB anyway).

Sync, well, its hit-or-miss trying to say the right word or phrase. Doing basic things like tuning in a station is fairly consistent, trying to get it to dial contacts can be tricky. It either doesn't understand a name, confuses it with another name, or just what it feels like. It also wasn't re-connecting every time I got in the car, I'd have to manually go re-connect the phone (not re-pair, just connected the two up) but now that seems to be better now.

I don't have the Nav so no issues with that!

You can go into advanced at any time, you can always ask for "help" or "what can I say?" in advanced mode. Or in basic mode, pull the trigger twice to get her to be quiet and listen.

·
Registered
747 Posts
So I've had my car for 3 days and I've either had Indexing Device or Building Media Commands displayed ALWAYS. At first indexing would clear quickly then building would go on forever. Today I was indexing during my 30 minute commute to work the entire ride and never saw building at all. When sync is in the building mode the whole system seems to struggle and if it messes up the voice control handle will stop working for a long while.

Ti hatch
Running 2.11
iPod classic 80gb with newest firmware (46gb used)

Things I've tried:
1. Ran the sync tool on itunes and resynced device a few times before plugging in the iPod
2. I've swapped usb cables and ports
3. I've paused the iPod and tried to wait for building commands to finish with the least possible multitasking
4. I renamed my iPod, started the car, paused ipod, then let my car run in the garage for an hour and a half to let it do its thing
5. Trying tonight to remove all comments from tracks and see if that makes a difference

At this point I'm looking for options. I've used the ipod with an alpine deck for the last few years trouble free aside from having to reboot the ipod once a month. I'm willing to scrap the whole thing and move to a USB stick if that is the only reliable solution. I'm also wondering if there is a way to have the MFT "forget" my ipod and start from scratch while still not messing up Sirius. I'm out of ideas now and I know many of you have had your vehicles for longer and may have developed tricks/tips/solutions.

wall of text terminated

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm also wondering if there is a way to have the MFT "forget" my ipod and start from scratch while still not messing up Sirius. I'm out of ideas now and I know many of you have had your vehicles for longer and may have developed tricks/tips/solutions.
I was wondering this as well. I assumed I could and was going to do that and start over but when I looked aoriund the menus, apparently I cannot. I don't want to reset the whole system either.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Also

I ordered a Patriot Xporter XT Rage 64 (what a silly ass product name) usb drive just now and will have it tomorrow so I guess I'll try that and update as well.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also

I ordered a Patriot Xporter XT Rage 64 (what a silly ass product name) usb drive just now and will have it tomorrow so I guess I'll try that any update as well.
Silly name, yes, but great form factor. Looks like it will sit nicely in the back USB port, not get in the way, and it won't stick up too far.

Look forward to hearing your results. If it works for you, I can definitely see myself buying one as a permanent solution since I never wanted the iPod to stay in there long-term anyhow.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Also

I ordered a Patriot Xporter XT Rage 64 (what a silly ass product name) usb drive just now and will have it tomorrow so I guess I'll try that any update as well.
I am using a flash drive instead of my iphone for music storage......it is working out a whole lot better.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Long story short (story in another thread) - I ended up restoring my iPod Classic in iTunes and then let MFT do it's thing without me touching anything (very important) - just took a nice drive while it did it's thing. I am sooo spoiled now. I don't need to speak louder or slower, it has learned my voice and I'm a bit soft spoken and it hears me fine. I do find that it still needs to learn my kids' voices a bit more, it's slower with their commands as I've spent more time talking to it than they have.

I hope that folks that are still having troubles will get their's straightened out soon. Now that mine is - it's a real joy.

"Play song "What a Wonderful World""

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Long story short (story in another thread) - I ended up restoring my iPod Classic in iTunes and then let MFT do it's thing without me touching anything (very important) - just took a nice drive while it did it's thing. I am sooo spoiled now. I don't need to speak louder or slower, it has learned my voice and I'm a bit soft spoken and it hears me fine. I do find that it still needs to learn my kids' voices a bit more, it's slower with their commands as I've spent more time talking to it than they have.

I hope that folks that are still having troubles will get their's straightened out soon. Now that mine is - it's a real joy.

"Play song "What a Wonderful World""
Could you take the short story and make it long? Describe exactly what you did, each step? Also, how many tracks are on there and how long did "Building Media Commands" take?

Thanks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Short story long...
I have a 120GB but not many songs on it at the moment - wanted to get it working before I added things back on it. (644 tracks)

Initial problem: MFT not recognizing all commands, phone would not give code when pairing. Technician undid battery cable to reset system - said Classic was known to freeze up MFT.

After the initial "reset" and the sales person paired my phone, I decided to take a drive and see about loading my daughter's iTouch. She has a lot of songs on hers - 2,000 tracks perhaps. Took about a half hour for it to initialize and I'm thinking about 10 - 15 min to build. But we took a nice scenic drive and didn't touch a thing on the screen while it did it's thing. Everything worked fine once completed (for the iTouch).

I decided on my next trip to hook up my Classic to see if it would load - MFT would not even recognize the USB connection - didn't matter which one I plugged it in. I tried to do the "master reset" from the system menu. That didn't do anything except clear out my phone information (that took a while - maybe 5-10 minutes). So I undid the battery cable from the car like I saw the technician do. Left it off for 5 minutes before reattaching.

I then hooked up the Classic and I could not pair up my phone once again. (I don't think I got all the way through the media commands either before stopping). I gave up on the phone for a bit - didn't want to redo the battery cable. Decided it was time to take a break from the MFT. So figured I would reorganize my Classic instead. (Hard to totally step away from problem solving).

I don't know if the MFT had done something to the iPod (don't think that's possible), but when I hooked it up iTunes, it said I needed to restore my Classic. I then only put about 400 songs on it after the restore and MFT did not take as long to index and build - I'm thinking 15 - 20 minutes. It also allowed me to pair up my phone again. I put more songs on the Classic see if it would reindex next time I was in the car. If it did once adding more songs - it didn't take very long as the first time indexing. But building the media commands the first time took almost as long as the indexing . I have not tried hooking up my daughter's iTouch to see if it could recognize both devices at different times. Didn't think it was worth messing with once my iPod was working.

A lot of fiddling - that's for sure. It was very frustrating. The only thing I'm noticing now it may take a couple of miles for the outside temp to get to the correct temp. But I'm not sure if that happened before I fiddled with stuff either.

·
Registered
54 Posts
P.S. - My MFT is the Sync without the Nav. Don't know if that has anything to do with anything but thought I'd throw it out there.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't know if the MFT had done something to the iPod (don't think that's possible), but when I hooked it up iTunes, it said I needed to restore my Classic. I then only put about 400 songs on it after the restore and MFT did not take as long to index and build - I'm thinking 15 - 20 minutes. It also allowed me to pair up my phone again. I put more songs on the Classic see if it would reindex next time I was in the car. If it did once adding more songs - it didn't take very long as the first time indexing. But building the media commands the first time took almost as long as the indexing . I have not tried hooking up my daughter's iTouch to see if it could recognize both devices at different times. Didn't think it was worth messing with once my iPod was working.

A lot of fiddling - that's for sure. It was very frustrating. The only thing I'm noticing now it may take a couple of miles for the outside temp to get to the correct temp. But I'm not sure if that happened before I fiddled with stuff either.
Hmmm. Interesting. A couple of days ago when I hooked my iPhone up to iTunes (first time I had hooked it up since pairing it with Sync) it told me I had to restore the phone to factory settings (I didn't, I ignored the message and, at least as a bluetooth paired phone, it is working fine). First time I had ever seen that with the phone though. Never got that message before pairing it with Sync.

My outside temp, BTW, has always taken a little time to get to correct.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts