Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Do you use Novice or Advanced voice control?

• Novice, staying with it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Advanced

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • Novice, might switch

Votes: 8 26.7%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys use novice or advanced voice controls? I definitely plan to use advanced as soon as I get the car. So much faster.

First time I've seen a non-Ford video demo song look-ups. So slick.

Difference between novice and advanced:

·
Registered
519 Posts
After a few days I switched to advanced. The voice prompts really slow it down, and also knowing you can cut off any other voice prompts with the sync paddle is helpful as well.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Don't have my car yet, so I won't vote just yet. It looks like advanced mode is the way to go. It would be even better if you could turn the confirm commands off so it wouldn't say: Did you say 70 degrees? If you didn't say 70 degrees then you could just give it the same command again and try again.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Don't have my car yet, so I won't vote just yet. It looks like advanced mode is the way to go. It would be even better if you could turn the confirm commands off so it wouldn't say: Did you say 70 degrees? If you didn't say 70 degrees then you could just give it the same command again and try again.
true, its not like i'm going to die if it thought i said 71 degrees.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have no experience with Sync. Does MyFord (non-Touch) have this option as well? I'd prefer to use advanced as well, but don't have my SE yet. Perhaps there is a setting on the MyFord screen.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I don't have my car yet as well either so I am not going to vote but just want to say thanks for the video. It is quite informative and nice to see an objective "non-Ford" source of information on the subject. Imagine I will go advanced right out of the gate but we'll see!

As far as the asking for confirmation I do remember reading an article many years ago when voice-recognition was really starting to become more commonplace and the early developers working on these systems did say that numbers were the biggest stumbling block in their development. Seventeen and seventy sound very similar (not that a car should but you in a seventeen degree environment :)) Fifty-nine sounds like sixty-nine, etc. Throwing in accents and fast speech and the like and it only makes it worse.

·
Registered
67 Posts
A double pull on the voice button in advanced mode also helps. Basically tells SYNC to SU & listen I know what I'm doing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kinda; from what I can gather reading the manuals, you need to turn off 'Confirmation Prompts.' It's turned off in the video, so I imagine that it only reduces the likelihood of confirmations rather than eliminating them.

I bet it would be most apparent during navigation; it would not provide a list a possibilities, but choose the top one automatically.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
13,505 Posts
I've got the advanced settings on

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
13,505 Posts
Permanently... I'd have to look up how to do it again.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
13,505 Posts
Click...

Say: Voice Settings...
Wait for SYNC...
Say: Interaction Mode, Advanced
Wait for SYNC, she'll ask if that's correct
Accept

·
Registered
647 Posts
After a few days I switched to advanced. The voice prompts really slow it down, and also knowing you can cut off any other voice prompts with the sync paddle is helpful as well.
This. So much. [headbang]

·
Registered
180 Posts
The video also seems to be demo'ing maximum prompting. Even in novice mode, you can give the full voice command without waiting for a prompt at each step (if you know it, of course).

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Hey everyone -

Once you get used to the ins and outs of SYNC, it's definitely nice to be able to turn off the confirmation prompts.

On both systems you can give the voice command VOICE SETTINGS and from there CONFIRMATION PROMPTS ON/OFF.

To turn this feature on/off on screen follow the steps below.

MyFord:

Press the phone button and use your seek arrows to scroll through the following:

RETURN > OK > ADVANCE > OK > PROMPTS > OK > ON/OFF > OK

MyFord Touch:

SETTINGS > VOICE CONTROL > NOVICE/ADVANCE

If anyone has additional questions, let me know.

Jaclyn

1 - 17 of 17 Posts