Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's becoming growingly apparent that getting AppLink available for our 2012 Foci is not a priority for Ford. I've been monitoring the Vehicle Availability List on SYNC's website to see if the Focus applink (for Pandora) is listed and even called their Help Desk to see if there was anything in the works...so far nothing. It's available for quite a few other vehicles, including the 2012 Fiesta, so why not the Focus???

We need to make a concentrated effort to raise a voice to Ford to make them aware we want that functionality too. I know there are some Ford reps who frequent this site, so hoping they can point us to who we should send our requests.

·
Registered
772 Posts
That's the farthest thing from their mind right now. They are scrambling just to get the thousands of customers and dealers off their back for the terrible programming of MyFord Touch. Once they come out with a system that is stable, they will be able to redirect their resources to the AppLink programs.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
That's the farthest thing from their mind right now. They are scrambling just to get the thousands of customers and dealers off their back for the terrible programming of MyFord Touch. Once they come out with a system that is stable, they will be able to redirect their resources to the AppLink programs.
I agree. I read an article that said the next car to get applink would be the Mustang, (surprisingly) not the Focus nor the Fusion. I'm sure they have their reasons - but MFT needs a little more work before they think about letting the APIM handle any more applications.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Wait until 2012 - if they actually do manage to lick the issues with MFT, apps will start appearing.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Point well taken. Since MFT has behaved pretty well for me I'm anxious to get Applink installed, but it's not a pressing matter.

·
Registered
261 Posts
You just gotta get into it with the right mindset. So far, MFT has bees good to me. Is there room for improvement? Sure. But for what it is compared to what most cars have, it's pretty damn good.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
From one of the mods at the Sync owner's boards in regards to Applink on the 2012 Focus:

Thank you for your interest and feedback regarding AppLink. Although I don't have an ETA at this time, I wanted to let you know that our engineering team is working hard to expand this feature to more vehicle lines in the future. Stay tuned here for more information.

Mike

http://boards.synccommunity.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&webtag=fordsyncmb&tid=3771

·
Registered
40 Posts
I also am looking forward to sync applink for my 2012 ford focus... I just installed the new mytouch update and was hoping this would be included - but no...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Holy resurrected thread, Batman!

Anyway, I was playing around on ford.com and building a 2013 Mustang. The upgraded audio includes app link. Hope they add the app link to the software for everyone that bought MFT in 2012!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I feel like I am going to need a week of college training when our Titanium comes in just to know what the heck all these terms are and what you can do with this car!!

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
One has to wonder why it is not available for those Focus owners with Sync (not MFT).

·
Registered
167 Posts
You just gotta get into it with the right mindset. So far, MFT has bees good to me. Is there room for improvement? Sure. But for what it is compared to what most cars have, it's pretty damn good.
I still prefer buttons and switches. Simpler, faster. I don't use nav, or phone, and temps and radio are far more easily controlled manually, IMHO. Ymmv, of course.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I really wish Ford would release AppLink for the 2012 Focus. I like Pandora and Slacker a lot and they're the only reason I have to mess with my phone while in the car since I've got my own music on my iPod which I leave in the car. It would be great if these (and possibly other) apps were available right from the dashboard instead of having to manually start them on the phone each time.

One thing that does worry me is that, AFAIK, Ford's responses to Focus owners' inquires never specifically mention the Focus. I'm going to be pretty pissed if it turns out that the Focus MFT/Sync system is not capable of running these apps. The last thing I want to hear is that our system can't support it, but the App will be available for newer Focii. That would really get my goat. (Hopefully, I'm wrong since there presently is a button for Sync Apps.)

Rich

·
Registered
91 Posts
SYNK AppLink was sweet with Pandora via bluetooth. I had it in my 2011 Ford Fiesta. I was surprised to find out it was not available in the Focus considering the radio setup is very similar to the Fiesta.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Azul:
I'm confused by your post. Did your 2011 Fiesta have the Pandora app built into the radio? Or were you streaming it over bluetooth from your phone? I assumed if the Pandora app was built into the car's system, you would not need to mess with the app on your phone. (or maybe I don't understand what Sync AppLink is???)

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
40 Posts
I can stream pandora over my bluetooth connection but I don't have applink. I, too, would love to have this for my Ford Focus so that I don't have to set it from my phone in advance...

·
Registered
967 Posts
I feel like I am going to need a week of college training when our Titanium comes in just to know what the heck all these terms are and what you can do with this car!!
Most of your prep should include how to document bugs and praying to god you won't have many.

Sent from my Telus Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I really wish Ford would release AppLink for the 2012 Focus.

The last thing I want to hear is that our system can't support it, but the App will be available for newer Focii. That would really get my goat. (Hopefully, I'm wrong since there presently is a button for Sync Apps.)

Rich
This has come up several times and some of us (myself included) have contacted Ford about it. Some of Ford's responses are posted in various threads but in summary, from what I remember seeing:

I got a generic "Sorry it is not available now. In the meantime stream these apps BT." Someone else got a "Sorry it is not available but it may be in the future." Someone else got a better "Sorry it is not available because the stereo for the Focus is different so it requires different programming but we will be working on it in the future for the Focus." Hope the last is the correct one. It would be easier if Ford just had a unified approach and answer to things like this. It seems like we all get different responses depending on the person reading our messages. Just look at all the different answers people are getting when they contact Ford about when (or if even) they will be getting the MFT update. You would think they could communicate a simple, non-ambiguous statement that these CS reps or tech support reps could provide instead of this "all over the board" approach to answering customer inquiries.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts