Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the common symptoms of bad front strut bearnings? Is there any way to inspect them without removing the strut assembly?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The ones I've seen did 'sproing" noises from the spring when it finally moved as the wheels were turned, instead of the spring top turning smoothly.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay. That is not exactly the sound I am getting. I am hearing more of a metal click/crack sound.

It happens when starting from a dead stop with the wheels turned. Breaking hard when going into the stop seems to increase the chance of hearing the sound when taking off. Also, being on some sort of incline seems to be a factor. This all started in the summer on rare occasions but it seems to be getting easier to replicate. If it helps, my car is a manual.

Usually I will only get one click/crack but on occassion it will happen twice in quick succession. I have never heard it more than twice and I do not hear anything during the normal course of driving.

After reading other posts online I feel like I am going to get a lot of CV joint reponses but honestly it does not sound like that, all of the boots are in good shape, and my car only has 50,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is some background as to what probably caused my issue. Last winter, I hit a frost dip/heave BAD. I was going about 35 when I saw it right in front of me. Natually I slammed on the brakes but I do not think that I released them soon enough. I bottomed out the front suspension so hard that the bottom side of my airbag cover popped off and the windshield wiper stalk moved. I knew I should not have been driving down that road, ugh [?|]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Could be tough to figure.

Clunk when starting/stopping is often ball joints, do the boots look good (no damage).

I hear ya on the CV responses, repeated clicking when wheel turned sharply is the typical first sign of that - not just one or two clicks.

You're obviously getting the noise when the suspension is stressed the most, and more when it goes from braking to a stop to accelerating (wheels turned).

·
Registered
459 Posts
stabilizer bar links? My son broke one on his Mk1, and they look like they have some sort of "ball jointed" end. I think the Mk3 links are the same (haven't looked in a while...).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Here is my experience of similelar situation on a 2006 Mazda3 auto, put it in drive and quick press on accelerator will make a pretty loud click at the hob assembly then disappear then put in reverse same procedure and same sound once only in the same area. Now, my research pointed me to axles, a very easy fix. Where the axle connects to hub assembly some constructions have a washer some don't, if there is a washer in your case it may be bad if there is no washer lucky you take it apart clean the contact surface of the axle and put a very thin layer of grease, note: not on the axle grooves but only on the conic contacting surface. Assembly it back and the sound should dissappear. Hope this will help.
Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts