Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Sylvania silverstars suck

2323 Views 36 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  xFOCIx
I bought my silverstars not even a year ago, and last week drivers side bulb blew out, so I put the stock one back in. And now yesterday the passenger side blew out. This happen to anyone else? And no, I didnt touch the bulb with my fingers when I put them in, so I dont know what's up. I just figured they should last longer than a year.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
535 Posts
I've had mine for about 2 months no problems. Take them to Wal-mart and say that that you've not had them to long and they will replace them. You could take dirty dipers back to Wal-mart and say they came that way and they would give you some new ones.

· Registered
400 Posts
i usally wear gloves when i change bulbs. my friend had them in him vw gti and about the samething happened but then agian it's a v dub and they do all kinds of mess up eletricial stuff (his blinker also keeps making the clicking noise after the blinker is turned off)<<off subject sorry, no hi jack intended

· GreyRice WOoT!
19,565 Posts
mines lasted about 4 months and just died....they are really nice n bright but for 40 bucks i expected better....i got some differ ones now philips, not as bright but decent

· Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I dont know what I'm gonna go for next. Not another set of those for sure.

· Registered
1,387 Posts
I've had mine for just over a year, and they have been solid so far.

· Registered
1,619 Posts
i had some on my grand am gt for ever!! but my friend has some issues with his after only a few months

· BAD EGG
8,240 Posts
They used to blow on my Xterra & Frontier at about a year and like you it would happen almost one after the other. No I din't touch the bulbs either [rolleyes]

I think Sylvania has a serious quality control problem

· Retired Fanatic
22,516 Posts
When you install them, be VERY VERY SURE that you DO NOT TOUCH THE FILAMENT CASING/GLASS TUBE. Doing so will make these (and any) bulbs wear out prematurely due to the grease/fingerprints you leave on the bulb itself.

99% of the time you see threads like this, or people having problems with bulbs, it's because they touched the filament casing.......

· Registered
297 Posts
I had Silverstars and they lasted about 8 mos. I switched to GE Nighthawks and have had them over 18 mos. They throw a clean white light every bit as good as the SSs and are way less expensive. I found this site to be very informative, and relatively unbiased. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

· Focused Focus
7,868 Posts
Ive had mine for about a year in the fog lamps and no problems at all.

· BAD EGG
8,240 Posts
S2 said:
When you install them, be VERY VERY SURE that you DO NOT TOUCH THE FILAMENT CASING/GLASS TUBE. Doing so will make these (and any) bulbs wear out prematurely due to the grease/fingerprints you leave on the bulb itself.

99% of the time you see threads like this, or people having problems with bulbs, it's because they touched the filament casing.......
It states that clearly on the install directions that accompany the bulbs. These bulbs still blow, and still are of poor quality (IMO) despite not touching the bulb. I don't even remember what bulbs a standard Focus uses but I have no doubt that you can do better than Silverstars. And yeah the light looks better but it isn't that good, for the price.

· Registered
708 Posts
Mine lasted about a year and one blew too. I purchased a two pack just in case and the next day the other one went out. Go figure.

· Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
S2 said:

Yeah I made damn sure not to touch them, so I know it wasnt cause of that.

coolpooler said:
I had Silverstars and they lasted about 8 mos. I switched to GE Nighthawks and have had them over 18 mos. They throw a clean white light every bit as good as the SSs and are way less expensive. I found this site to be very informative, and relatively unbiased. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html
I'm gonna give those next, thanks for the input on them.

· Registered
898 Posts
I had Silverstars in my fogs, the right one blew after 3 months and I made sure not to touch either one. They were also quite stockishly yellow, they sucked. I had some in my stock headlights as well, they looked really good but I only had them for 4 months or so before I switched them out for projectors.

· Registered
551 Posts
What you guys are seeing is normal.
Focuses up to 04 used 9003 and 05+ uses 9007.

The OEM bulb is always long life type.
9003 LL = 800 hours rated
9003 XtraVision = 150 hours
9003 SilverStar = 150 hours rated

9007 LL = 1500 hours
9007 normal = 500 hours
9007 XtraVision = 375 hours
9007 SilverStar = 150 hours

The rated life doesn't guarantee yours will/won't last that.
It represent the operating time when 50% of a large sample fails at 14.0v operating voltage.

I prefer the XtraVision. If you have the OEM long life bulbs in place, it's worth the upgrade to XtraVision, or even "normal" non long life bulb, which offers more light at the expense of life without the added expense of premium marketing brand like the SilverStar.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.