Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may know I live in the wonderful snow covered state of Ohio. As Im brushing my car off I wack my shorty antenna clear off snapping the metal bolt that is connected to the car. So now I'm stumped on what to do!
Does anyone know how to get to the antenna from the inside?
ALSO, does anyone know where I can buy one of those nuber antennas for my car, there just alittle stub, I know I have seen them before but just cant remember where its my F**k up so I fiqure why not get something new and better.
I Need some help!

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
If your talking about those shorty billet antenna's, you can find them at most Focus performance online stores or ebay.

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
I believe he is talking about the little stubby antennas that are only like 2-3" long not the shorty's. It sounds like the shorty is what he had and broke off.

I can tell you from experience, in after market form the little stubby's give crappy reception

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
You'd think that they could make a shorty antenna with the proper wavelength and impedance to match the stock antenna so reception isn't effected.
I guess engineering an antenna is asking too much.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man I was so pissed when it happened. But ya its just like alittle stub the shorty is the one I broke off. Does anyone know where I can get one of those stubby guys

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Focustrends usually sells them on their website but their site is down right now but you can get them from him on ebay.
Take a look and see if he has anything you like.

Click here

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yea I heard they have crappy reception, but if your a CD person it won't affect you much.. basically if your stations come in a little crappy now, then wont come in at all..

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
i like cds bettar than the radio. that sucks for you hahahaha how do you break the base off you must of really partied with the snow on your car. i bet you feel sooo dumb. hahahaha ahhhhahahahaha. i feel evil id definatly rock a shorty antena. **** the factory one bro, get the antana shaved??? you already did a lot of the work the body shop just has to add some putty or whatever they use? theres an idea although i dont know if that would look real good? hurrmmm

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya I guess its real funny ass, and read the orignal post I never said I broke the base off I snapped the screw off the holds the antenna on but ya I guess I fell dumb it cost 15 buck to get a new screw and replce the thing, putty ya right im gonna put f**kin putty on my car ,your a dumb ass. O ya but thanks for the sympothy, right I really give a shit what you think

·
Registered
245 Posts
microtonal said:
You'd think that they could make a shorty antenna with the proper wavelength and impedance to match the stock antenna so reception isn't effected.
I guess engineering an antenna is asking too much.
I spent 4 years as a radio operator in the Marines. They couldn't figure the formula out, manufaturers surely won't.

·
Registered
127 Posts
yeah i felt really stupid when i broke the bolt off in my shorty antenna last summer. i had to get them to replace the bolt and get my antenna rethreaded. sucked. i was waching my car at the car wash and I hit it wish the brush. i hate car washes but i dont have anywhere to hand wash.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
PitchBlackPZEV said:
I spent 4 years as a radio operator in the Marines. They couldn't figure the formula out, manufaturers surely won't.
Dude, I don't know where the military is these days with technology but calculating the antenna length for a particluar frequency range has been around for quite some time.
How do you think they calculate AM, FM, Cellphone, mobile radio antenna length to be used?
You don't think they just put a piece of wire/metal rod on the receiver and hope that it works do ya ?
Sorry to tell you but calculating electronics circuits for RF transmissions and reception is a science, not a guess.

Usually, the antenna gets smaller as the frequency gets higher since the wavelength gets small as the frequency gets higher. Just look at a CB(Low band - less than 100Mhz) antenna verses your cellphone(900Mhz+) antenna.

Carry on...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
LOL!!!

I did the same exact thing! [:D]

I didn't read the whole post, so maybe I'm repeating.... But I pulled the old base off by going through the access panel for the light/moonroof. Then I installed a new base and put my old antena back on.. (I hate it but oh-well)

**When I find the time, I'll take an easy-out drill bit to the shorty antena.. Drill out the stud that broke off in it.. and put it back on. (Only I'll be more carefull when washing my car next time!! lol) [?|][duh]

·
Registered
445 Posts
THE SAME THIG HAPPENED TO ME AND I WENT TO MY DEALER AND GAVE THEM SOME BS ABOUT HOW IT JUST FELL OFF WHILE I WAS DRIVING AND THEY ARE GOING TO DO IT FOR ME FOR FREE. WHICH IS NICE BECAUSE THE BASE IT SELF IS 90 DOLLARS AND IT WILL TAKE ABOUT AN HOUR TO INSTALL. OR THATS WHAT THE TACH TOLD ME.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Sucks that your antenna snapped off, I'll have to watch for that with all the ice and snow that piles on. It takes more like 5 minutes total to replace the antenna... real easy access through the dome light, in case anyone else's dealer won't do it for free, it's a good thing to know!

And were you quoted $90 for the little oval shaped plastic base?? Mine was 5 and change...[???:)]

·
Registered
93 Posts
this happened to me this morning when my mom was trying to be nice by cleaning off my car I managed to get te broken screw out of my short antenna by using my thumb to turn it out but can i just take the scew out of the base and find a replacement at some hardware shop or do i have to replace the whole base?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts