Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Turbo Freak
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who has put a bigger sway on the front?? do u like it???

·
Turbo Freak
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have em cuz i have an svt i was wondering who has gone bigger than stock svt,

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
i know mike (b16sir1991) has the h&r front sway. i know there are others with the eibach front sway or the h&r one.

·
Turbo Freak
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do u know how they like em?

·
Registered
395 Posts
b16sir1991 loves them.....he also has the A piller x bars and he said that stiffened up the body roll alot.

·
Turbo Freak
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, i was wondering cuz people say the front sway on the svt is not needed or is too much if u go with a bigger bar
anyways u should go to the azusa run u live near by.

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
b16sir1991 also has the steeda 28.6mm rear bar...so you really need to get input from someone who has just the front.

·
Turbo Freak
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i know im doing the back but i need 2 know about the front, i think i wanna do it,
Jack u still want that shiiiiit?lol

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
What rear bar are you getting? You should either match the front and rear bars (same size) or go with a larger rear. I have the steeda 28.6mm rear bar on right now but have yet to install the H&R 24mm front. There is a bit of overstear, but only if you yank on the wheel, but I also have decent tires and don't let them wear past the wear bands.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
HardSVT, pm 03CDSVT. He's running a larger FSB and just completed several auto-x runs this past weekend.

The only problem I can see with this is lifting the inside front wheel during auto-x events.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
Moved to Wheels, Tires & Suspension

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have the H&R front bar 24mm and the steeda 28 mm rear bar. I autocross my car and have not noticed any problems with lifting the front wheel. I also run the strut tower bars front and rear on the stock svt suspension. By adjusting my tire pressure I can get just as much oversteer as I wan't.

·
Turbo Freak
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
k well im going to do it
the front feels a lil loose i have the HR coilovers do u guys think ill be good? i do a lot of canyon driving and want it to be a lil more tight!
should i go with the eibach setup?
or HR?
thanks for the input

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
I have the H&R front bar 24mm and the steeda 28 mm rear bar. I autocross my car and have not noticed any problems with lifting the front wheel. I also run the strut tower bars front and rear on the stock svt suspension. By adjusting my tire pressure I can get just as much oversteer as I wan't.
I'm not certain if this is an effect of having the 24mm, it was just something that I read awhile back in one of the auto-x threads where a veteran auto-x'er was experiencing this issue.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
*Climbs up on his soapbox*

1. A FRONT BAR is the best investment for handling you can make next to tires. People choose to do the rear bar more out of convenience (because it is easier to change), but are surprised when the handling characteristics become twitchy. Especially considering that these cars are prone to "lift induced snap oversteer". Lift out of the gas in a corner and you swap ends.

A FRONT BAR works to put POWER on the ground so that you can use the throttle more effectively. This is especially important on lower HP front wheel drive cars like the focus.

2. A REAR BAR often creates more issues than it solves. The rear of the car becomes more volatile and then there is the snap oversteer issue.

If...BIG IF you elect to do a rear sway bar upgrade, then absolutely upgrade the front. Otherwise, withe front being "soft" you create a pivot point that can't keep pace with the rear rotation.

3. The BEST set up (IMHO) is to put a larger bar in the front and LEAVE the rear STOCK. To facilitate MANAGEABLE oversteer, increase the spring rates in the rear.

For example, in the Grand Am Acuras and SCCA Acuras that we ran, the front springs were rated at 450LBS. The REAR were a whopping 1000 LBS. The rear sway bar was STOCK. Unlike a spring, the sway bar has little to no "give" and creates a sliding effect. Springs compress and TRAVEL vs. slide. This creates the same amount of oversteer (depending on spring rate), but allows the driver to better predict and point the movements of the car. A solid rear bar is more like a light switch. You know that the rear is going to come around, but that ties directly with the adhesion limits of the tire. Springs make this process more gradual and therefore more controlable.

*Climbs off of soapbox*

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
P.S. Lifting the front tire in an AX is usually seen as a good thing.

It means a tight line.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
I drive many a twisty canyon road out here and I have autoX'd my car a bit too. I originally started with the stock sways then bought the Eibach set up.

At first, I only installed the rear bar, but the front would roll a bit when I pushed things and like Wee mentioned, it becomes a pivot point. Over-steer was pretty easy to induce.

I then installed the front bar and it matches up so nice. 22F/25R is a great combo esp when matched up with a good set of springs and dampers. I am running Apex springs 150F/200R and I notice hardly any body roll at all...my car stays flat. Its almost like driving a go-kart, but with streetable manners. I would highly recommend the Eibach kit.

Reactions: hardSVT
1 - 20 of 33 Posts