Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much would a sway bar help my cars overall performance? do they have front and rear sway bars? i have a 2003 focus se(sedan w/ spi engine). will they fit on my car or does my car not come equipped for this.

i also have a question about strut bars. what is the difference between strut bars and sway bars? what do each do? will strut bars fit on my car? if i get the front strut bar do i need one for the back also?

plz help me b/c im trying to get my car to perform better
thnx

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Sway bars help flatten the car out during cornering, and allows you to change the handling characterisitcs through different sizes fore and aft. Sway bars by themselves are a nice part, but they really shine when paired with a good set of springs and dampers.

Your SPI has an 20mm front bar (I think only the LX got the 18mm front bar), and no rear bar. Around 2003 or 2004, Ford started producing two separate rear subframes; one with holes for mounting a sway bar, and one without. If your car has the mounting holes, all you need then is two brackets, 4 bolts, and endlinks to add a rear sway bar. (all available from Ford). If you don't, you need to do something (do a search for some methods other people have done)

A SVT 21mm bar is a nice cheap addition that will help nicely, or if you want to go aftermarket, I recommend the Progress 22mm bar I wouldn't go much bigger than that unless you have some aftermarket springs, and feel like changing the front bar as well.

As for strut bars, their intent is to minimize chassis flexing. Some people feel that work, while others don't. Personally, I think they are only good for looks, since the strut towers are close to the fire wall, and the bar doesn't triangulate against it. I had one off and on my old Focus at an autocross, and I noticed no difference what so ever. For the rear, it needs to triangulate to floor for any rigidity in my opinion.

If you want to spend you money on suspension parts, its better spent on springs and dampers, and then sway bars. Of course, this is all assuming you have a good set of tires.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i plan on upgrading shocks/struts and springs(eibach prokit or sportline not sure yet) soon. i will look 2day to see if they have the holes for it. so do i need to upgrade my front sway bar 2 a bigger size if i put a 22mm sway bar in the back? also where would the holes for the back sway bar be?

how much would it cost to buy brackets, bolts, and links. then how much is the 22mm progressive sway bar?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If you have the mounting points for the rear sway bar, the Progress rear sway comes with everything you need to install, bushings, bolts and brackets. Mine was $139 (shipped) from newedgeperformance.com. If your rear crossmember does not have the sway bar mount, you will need a new cross member from Ford or weld (or bolt) your own mounts on your existing cross member.

I haven't bothered with strut bars so I can't comment on their benefit. I have Eibach springs and dampers with the Progress rear sway and it is much more suspension than I use.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well always depends on what you are doing and what style you are looking for.

The 24mm rear H&R alone with OEM front will help the car oversteer, great if you are Autoxing

I have an SVT rear if you are interested!

I prefer a stiff rear it makes the car more fun, but you have to get used to it. If you prefer to understeer keep them closely paired. 20mm Front 21mm rear..... SVT is a great update for cheap.

Strut Brace are the way to go they will help stiffen the chassis up. Thats probably the best money you can spend on your suspension

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
yes i agree with al007ex about the strut bar. i autocrossed the for the first time all stock, the next time i had a strut bar on and i noticed a big difference in my front end. great handling and for a very good price. search ebay and you'll come up with one cheap. i got a focus sport (knockoff) for $20-25 can't remember but close to that. good luck.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
i did a quick search and found a real FS front strut bar for $40 > > Clicky < < hope that helps you out. that's actually really cheap for being the real product.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, thnx for the help. how hard is it to install a strut bar? im goin to check out and see if i have the mounts for the rear sway bar if i do ill probably pick one up. if im not goin to be changin my front sway bar should i just get the svt sway bar? will adding a rear sway bar give me a noticeable difference(even though its just the svt one)? also if i get a front strut bar do i also need a rear one?

sorry for all the questions and thnx for all your help.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I personally wouldn't change the front one you have unless is way smaller than the SVT one. I'm getting the Eibach anti-roll kit which is 22mm front and 24mm back, sweet if you ask me! But mine came with a rear sway bar so i got lucky...Adding a rear sway bar will make a noticeable difference in handling, and like everyone else said it will promote understeer more...Laslty, i have the front strut tower brace bar and i could actually tell a difference, but i had new wheels and tires to help that as well...lol...I can't wait till i get the Eibach kit!!...I hope i helped you with your ?s.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FocusFreak87 said:
And i paid 39 bucks for the Focus Central strut bar from www.newedgeperformance.com...
i checked it out and its $39.00 for the focus central stress bar but they only have it for the duratec engines. they only have the focus sport stress bar for my spi engine. thnx for the help though. is the stress bar worth the $90 or should i just not worry about it.

also will adding a rear sway bar and a front strut bar make my car too stiff or actually improve its handeling for the better. also if i get a front strut bar do i need a rear strut bar? i guess if i add a rear sway bar it will be the 21mm svt one b/c i wont be upgrading the front sway bar(which is 20mm) and i dont wanna go too big.

again sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I don't think that a front strut bar would be worth 90 bucks IMO.. If your getting a rear sway bar i wouldnt worry about a rear strut tower bar. And trust me, your handling can never be too good, LOL...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol. ok, thnx. ill check today to see if i have the holes to add a rear sway bar, if i do ill be adding the svt one. i think that ill get a front strut bar(when i can find one cheaper), but not get the rear b/c i dont feel like drillin holes.

thnx for all your help.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Look for these:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.