Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
The only "KIT" is the one from ford which comes with new shocks, struts, and springs. and depending on the "kit" new sway bar, strut bearings, and little things.

A front end "refresh" can mean lots of things. Felix mentioned how to swap out and refresh the front end. If its bushings, ball joints, tie rods, and more that need to be swapped over it can be costly and time consuming but well worth it.

so when you say you want a whole suspension refresh what does that mean to you and who will be doing the work?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'll be doing the work

in regards to what I mean as a refresh, I am looking to replace
-In the front the sway bar links, struts, pads and rotors, control arm which I know includes the ball joint an other two bushing as a single unit. Might be missing something.

For the rear sway bar links, shocks & springs, trailing arm. Again ik I missing a few details on other parts so please fill in what else in regards to bushing an other items that wear from sitting for long periods of time.

The car is very clean an has 52,000 miles on it so it drives fine as is but it's noticable that it has had little use crackles going over dips on the road, the steering isnt as tight when taking turns an kinda puts it's weight towards the heavier end.

Just replaceing aged hardwear with new stuff so I can keep her running for the long hall

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Want to note getting parts from Rock Auto for convenience.

Cars strictly a daily

-front disks rear drums
- no abs or tractions in this car feature wasn't included
- cars only extras are electric windows sun roof an 6 CD changer an it's an auto.

Just to clarify exactly what I'm working with for you guys

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Just to mention, since your tearing the front end down, nows a great chance to upgrade your braking to the svt setup= 10'' rotors to 11.8'' rotors & don't forget the bigger calipers & pads. Swap out the spindles for '05 only spindles + order '05+ A-arms for the bigger ball joints that the '05 spindles use as well as still using the earlier '00-'05 struts/springs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
For budgeting reason mr.felix is it possible to do the brake upgrade later on an keep the stock brake equipment on for now

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
if your going to the junk yard to pick up the '05 knuckles then just pick up the calipers that come with them. it will be a middle upgrade. IIRC the 05 brakes are a little bigger than the '0-05 brakes so depending on the quality at the junk yard can pick up rotors and pads if they look good and have life.

The '05 knuckles uses ears on the knuckle like the SVT which is why they work for the sawp. It's been so long since I have seen a non SVT knuckle & brake that I am not sure how they bolt up. Felix likely recalls.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
So I'm getting a lil hung up on what a spindle is, is that part of the wheel bearing/hub assembly

if it's different can I see what it looks like via pic of sorts?

I could go to the junkyard but to lazy rather just buy it plus condition from the yard from the vehicles sitting in dirt is piss poor?

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Sorry I used the wrong terminology. I have edited my post. knuckle, not spindle.

nuckles are the black things:

They are what the bearing and hub are pressed into, brakes, tie rod, adn ball joint attach to along with the bottom of the strut.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yeah that's Gunna have to be a separate project for me btwn the svt caliper, rotors,pads, knuckles,wheelbearing/hub assembly.

For now though I'll plan on getting the 05+ a-arms, bushings,links,shocks struts etc.

Kinda hoping I can carry over the existing brake settup untill I have enough money to do the svt swap on the front

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
You need the '05 knuckle if your going with the '05 Control arms and ball joints.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So 05 knuckle not available on Rock Auto, Auto zone, advance Auto or Napa what's the next trust source for car parts ?

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
The junk yard...? At one point there were knuckles you could get somewher new but think the last few were sold a few years ago. Ask Steve Powell at TASCA Parts and he can check ford inventory or may know of a location.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I wish there was a better way to press in bearings and crap. I'm a bit timid when it comes to doing it myself. And I hate passing someone else to do it and be own their waiting list. I've bought the Timken bearings and thinking of taking the knuckles off my se and having them done then put on my ZX3 and swapping those to the SE. Don't think they're bad yet, I've checked, but I bought them just in case when I did the SVT suspension swap.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
**** it junk yard it is now what range in vehicle age do I have to work with for the knuckles? I only have wagons an sedans in the junkyard where I'm at and everything sits on dirt so I have to be careful what car I rip apart

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
That looks like an option.

For junk yard its any 05'. (i think any) does not matter if its a wagon, sedan, or hatch. knuckes are all the same.

You would have to worry about removing, instaling new bearings and hubs. but can likely do it for less than 1/2 the cost. $325 for two knuckles with hubs already in seems a bit high but solves the finding and bearing pressing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Yeah it's what I thought well I'll go to the pick an pull grab some knuckles an just order the wheel bearing hub kit do It the hard way lol

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Yeah it's what I thought well I'll go to the pick an pull grab some knuckles an just order the wheel bearing hub kit do It the hard way lol
Drew0427,
I just went thru an entire front end 'refresh' on my 02 wagon last year: new axles, lower control arms, knuckles, wheel bearings, and hubs. Long story short: I ended up buying a good used set of knuckles as mine were so corroded and they dont make new replacements for pre 2005.

https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/11350583-post14.html

Even at $175 each those Moog knuckles/bearings/hubs will be a bargain if you can swing it. Im in MA too (Hudson) and the knuckles in any junkyard around here (ie Linders, Sams, etc) will be a nightmare to work with. I can tell you with 90 percent certainty that the the outer axle splines will be siezed in the hubs, the balljoints and/or struts will be seized in the knuckles, and the knuckle forgings themselves will be so corroded to be practically unrecognizable. And assuming you can get them out you will need a press or hub tamer tool to R/R the bearings.

Paul

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yeah that's not even the only issue I did a lil more reading and those Moog knuckles are for the 06-11 models focus so those won't due either only thing that seems feasible is to go on carparts.com an see if I can find a place that has them maybe or just suck it up and improve on the base model setup by getting some drilled rotors an better pads an replaceing everything with that year oem parts which are available on Rock Auto.

Guess I will have to just settle an not go svt brake setup ????

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,203 Posts
Yeah that's not even the only issue I did a lil more reading and those Moog knuckles are for the 06-11 models focus so those won't due either only thing that seems feasible is to go on carparts.com an see if I can find a place that has them maybe or just suck it up and improve on the base model setup by getting some drilled rotors an better pads an replaceing everything with that year oem parts which are available on Rock Auto.

Guess I will have to just settle an not go svt brake setup ????
Use 05-07 control arms and an omni strut adapter and they will work. Buy these knuckles. SVT brakes bolt onto the 05-11 knuckles. You need the calipers, brackets and svt brake lines

21 - 40 of 70 Posts