Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
I find the oem links the best & zero problems........

·
Registered
247 Posts
I find the oem links the best & zero problems........
If OEM was that good they wouldn't routinely fail and thus create aftermarket demand. Our cars eat sway bar links, engine mounts, and valve cover gaskets. These common failures indicate they weren't designed or specified all that well to begin with.

That said, it's a fairly reliable uncomplicated car, and at least the fixes aren't that expensive.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will be slowly getting to pretty much the whole front end in regards to suspension part an mounts an bushing of sorts.

my car practically sat for God knows how long but the original owner in which I bought the car from didn't do anything with this car.

Thanks again for the opinions an advice

·
Registered
16,048 Posts
X2 post #5. Many parts on these are just cheap flimsy crap and always will be. The end links there are massively undersized compared to the bar. Add the battery cable setup and the alt design to that list of crap from the getgo parts.

The cars like most now are designed to have many more parts fail on a regular basis than used to be acceptable before. Throughput at the dealer parts counter is much more important than it used to be in the past.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That's the absolute truth! I've replaced end links in both my Foci more times than all the other cars I've had before combined! Wish there was an aftermarket choice that was guaranteed stronger. They're not too terrible to replace, but I'd like them to last longer that's for sure.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
All the mods I've done including bigger F/R sway bars,springs,struts,shocks,bbk,diff, ect....I'm still running the oem front end links.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
MOOG also has life time replacement. I would order on Rock Auto, as dealing with warranty is very easy with them. Have done this with their ball joints and other MOOG products. Much easier to work with than any other store or online re-seller.

It is also true that non reasonable joints of today are not the same ones of 30-40 years ago so depending on the maintenance and servicing your doing have a zerk fitting and how you fill it and with what may cause more problems than just getting a sealed unit... but then there comes in the life time warranty...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm getting the Moog k80066 links for the front and moog k700525 poly bushing for the back off Rock Auto.

My next question is I fully understand whole reason behind greaseable links but never actually delt with greaseable links so what do I do for maintenance on them ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
True that. Although I will say one thing about Rock Auto; I ordered outer the rod ends from them and received one that was very obviously not correct, two completely different boxes. So I was concerned if either one was correct, told them of the problem via email, and was told they would only refund shipping on the one that was definitely wrong, but not the other! Kinda ticked me off very bad. I ended up purchasing Moog ones from Advance Auto nearby and was given twenty percent off from purchasing online, along with being able to go and pick them up the next morning. I'm glad to hear that Rock Auto has treated you fairly, but I am very careful about what I order from them now a days. I was very mad that they sent me what appeared to be an open box possibly returned part that was obvious just from the box dimensions and weight, two separate and different items. Figured common sense would have dictated to verify commonality before shipping to a customer. Especially as much as I ordered from then previously.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You would need a grease gun to grease the fittings. Grease guns and grease can be had for relatively cheap. Grease them every oil change or sooner depending on your interval.

The grease gun hose goes on the zerk nipple much like an air hose goes on a fill valve. Pump the grease until it starts squishing out from under the boot. I bought some links that already had at least some grease from the factory, but I asked the shop to grease them since the car was in for some other work anyway.

Honestly, I wouldn't be scared off by the cheaper part. End links are very easy to replace, and have a lifetime warranty. Or, use a 25 per cent off coupon which are always available for Advance and get the Moog. If you need warranty, you will find that it is substantially easier to deal with a local merchant.

My 2 cents...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks machgo I'll dig out the grease gun i use on my Jeep.

Good to know,I usually do my oil every 3000-4000 miles.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
I'm getting the Moog k80066 links for the front and moog k700525 poly bushing for the back off Rock Auto.

My next question is I fully understand whole reason behind greaseable links but never actually delt with greaseable links so what do I do for maintenance on them ?
Same as your ball joints/tie rod ends......Unless your running heim joints.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So goal is to do a whole suspension refresh just want to get a list on everything I'll need

Any suggestions? Cars a daily driver only plus I am already getting the Moog front an rear sway bar links from Rock Auto.

The actual work won't be done till mid June- beginning of August.

Any full kits it there that can be bought?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Struts/shocks, new A=arms as that'd get you new bushings, same as some of the rear arms,trailing arms,ect. Since you tearing down the front suspension, I'd swap out the front spindles for '05 only ones, you'll just need to get the A-arms for the '05+ cars. That'd open up the door for svt brakes & since your there I'd get new brake hoses. Also a great time to upgrade your f/r sway bars....Eibach offers a 22mm/25mm kit.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts