Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm creating this thread to hopefully catch a few searches as far as front-end noise goes.

I just replaced the sway bar endlinks on my 02 SVT on a whim. I've had some vibration and strange noises for months that have been difficult to track down. It seems that everything falls back on the endlinks.

The stock swaybar endlinks are a weak attempt by Ford at a transition to sealed bearings throughout the car. These things probably failed 50k miles ago. My SVT has 120k miles, when I pulled the old endlinks off I found that ALL FOUR boots were cracked wide open. I replaced them with aftermarket moog endlinks that come with grease ports. I recommend replacing this part if you haven't already, I live in an area with very mild weather and to have all four boots cracked at 120k miles is disturbing. The swaybar endlinks are a substandard part and should be replaced ASAP by any focus owner. Chances are if you are above 80k miles and you are experiencing any type of squeaking, grinding or any noise at low speeds through turns or any other action that places a differential load on the front suspension your endlinks may be at fault. It will not hurt to go ahead and just replace this item, it takes less than an hour to do both sides. it is basically bolts off, bolts on, done.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm experiencing the same symptoms on my '04 SVT at 98k. Can you give me an approximate cost for the links, as well as how difficult it is to replace them (and do you need to re-align the front end afterwards)? I'm doing brake pads/rotors in the next few weeks and would be nice to do all this at the same time.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
I agree the end links are pitiful. I have to replace them on my SVT, I already have on my DD as I was experiencing the squeak around 75k miles. SVT has 33k so although they might last a while I would rather have the better one on there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts