Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I did a pretty big project to the focus, mostly under the hood, the only suspension mod I made at the time was a pair of massive speed sway bar end links. Mind you before I did anything I had no noise, I replaced the cv axles and set the new end links to the same length as the stock ones and now I am getting a clunk noise from the front when I turn, I don't believe it is the cv axles because it doesn't click when I turn and it is usually only 1 clunk when I start the turn and it also seems to do it more easily when I'm coming up the curb at an angle at my house or when the car is loaded side to side in a turn which makes me think the end links, especially since that is the only thing I replaced. I have since then jacked it up and shook everything down and I don't have any play anywhere.

My next step is to remove the endlinks and drive it around my neighborhood and back up and down the curb at an angle while turning to see if the clunk stops, if it does then I'd have to say it's definitely the endlinks.

I guess my question is has anyone else had this problem? And if it is the endlinks is it just a defective one from massive? Or do I just have an improper length set? How do I determine what the proper length should be for the endlinks? Mine is lowered about 3" so is it possible that they are too short? Or not short enough? I wouldn't think they aren't short enough because they are almost as short as they can go now.

·
Registered
740 Posts
If it doesn't end up being the end links the next thing I would recommend checking would be the strut mounts as the bearings could be shot which is where you're getting the clunking sound from.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do, I'll have to check and make sure the sway bar is still centered. I'm pretty sure it is because I never loosened the sway bar just the end links but that doesn't mean it couldn't have moved a bit in either direction. I thought it would be loose as well but I've double checked them a couple times since the clunking started and they have been tight and the end links have still been locked down. Usually when I hear that clunking it is my left front wheel bearing because for some reason that wheel bearing doesn't want to stay alive for long but I've checked it and everything is tight, so not that.

I was starting to think the upper shock mount as well but I don't see any obvious signs of wear or play in the mount, I guess I'll remove the end links and see if it stops and that will at least confirm that it's something with the sway bar and not something else.

·
Registered
13 Posts
did you save the old end links?
I had a 'clunk' in my '09 stock 4 door and changed them out for some moog 'problem solver' units. Much heavier than the stock fomoco ones and now my clunk is gone.

·
Registered
740 Posts
did you save the old end links?
I had a 'clunk' in my '09 stock 4 door and changed them out for some moog 'problem solver' units. Much heavier than the stock fomoco ones and now my clunk is gone.
He said he had installed the Massive end links right before the issue began. Those are not inferior parts by any means. However it does appear that the Massive end links have spherical rod ends so they will definitely transmit more noise than the originals.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do have the old ones, but part of the reason for putting on new ones was that the threads on 1 side of the driver side was cross threaded at some point and I wanted new ones to replace that and figured I might as well get some nice adjustable ones.

As far as the rod ends I wouldn't think that having them spherical would be causing the clunk, i understand that they may transfer more noise but i dont think that part would cause the noise just transfer it better. it's almost more of a pop than a clunk after focusing on it for the past couple days, to me it sounds like it's coming from the left side and sounds kind of higher like at the shock mount. I looked at them today and I don't see any signs that either is damaged, I'm probably going to take it apart a bit tomorrow and see if I can't notice anything and make sure the sway bar is center.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My car had the same issue as yours only turning to the right. I found out my swaybar moved to one side more to the (passenger side). The driver side had little amount of the swaybar so it would hit the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts