Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Sway bar bushings and end bar links

13K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  CGREEN03SVT 
#1 ·
I just replaced my swaybar bushings today with polyurethane inserts from energy suspensions and also replaced the links, my car was making a sound when going through speed bumps, I did some research and found out the problem was the end links, so I decided to replace the bushings also with something better, when I removed the links, the sway bar was completely stuck I couldn't move it at all until I removed the bushings, when I installed the new bushings I put a good amount of grease inside the bushing and in the sway bar just to be sure it remains lubed for a while and now I was able to move the sway bar with no effort at all, the car feels good and I got rid of that annoying noise; if you got the same problem try it

#3 ·
I just got both bushings from energy suspensions for 15 bucks and 40 for the end links, It is cheap if you are already tired of the noise, the tricky part is to get the bolts that hold the clamps and the bushing, I used a really long socket extension (about 4')

#11 ·
Just swapped front/rear worn-out rubber swaybar bushings on '03 SVT. My son was driving the car when the rears finally fell apart from dry rot, and he thought the car was about to implode on him it was so loud from the banging of the rear swaybar, LOL! He gave the car back to me and I upgraded to the Prothane urethane bushings, which come with special grease for the frame to swaybar mount locations. The bushings themselves are channeled inside to retain the grease and allow it to circulate within the bushing. Once I swapped the rears and drove it with the rear not making any noise, it quickly became apparent that the fronts needed replacement also. I would definitely recommend the Prothane bushings based on their better, channeled bushing design that will hold the INCLUDED grease and not make any noise for the long haul. This is not a job you want to have to do all the time, so buy the right parts, do it right once and forget about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.