Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I'm replacing a 136hp 2.0L DOHC Duratec 20 from a 2005 Focus, shouldn't I be able to use Duractec 20 from any 2005-2007 car? Reason I ask is everywhere I search online has the engines listed as either for 05 cars or 06-07 cars. What's that all about?

I'm not familiar with Focuses... thanks for any help![cheers]

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Yes, you can use any 2005-2007 2.0L Duratec for your replacement.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Have you thought about dropping in a 2.3L, might be a good alternative.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
177 Posts
The 03-04 duratec's were 2.3L and had PZEV intake and exhaust hardware.

05-07 ST's also use the 2.3L but without the PZEV hardware, which yields a little more power

05-11 2.0L duratecs are all the same

If you want to drop in a 2.3L, do a little bit of research as you will need a tune to run it properly in addition to keeping some of the things from your 2.0,such as the IM, and swaping out others such as the passenger engine mount.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
No.

The reason they say that is because the power steering on the 03-05 is different than on the 06-07 and 08-11. If you reuse your power steering pump you can use a motor from 05-07 with no computer issues. Swapping to a 2.3L will require modification including the wiring harness and computer from the donor car. 08-11 have minor differences throughout and would be obnoxious to swap, similar to what the 2.3L would have, but no gains so therefore no point.

05-07 motors will all work for you as long as its a 2.0L.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
No.

The reason they say that is because the power steering on the 03-05 is different than on the 06-07 and 08-11.
*Facepalm* ....I did forget about the power steering. But he should be able to just put his 05 pump and reservoir on the 06-07 2.0L right?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
You can't do the PS swap on the 08+. There mounting holes for the PS pump aren't there. Notching is the best option.

·
Registered
177 Posts
This is my first time hearing this, as I thought that the 4 mounting holes for all year power steering pumps where the same, and that only the lines and resevoir were different.

Visual inspection of the 05 power steering pump that I aquired, tells me that the mounting holes are in the same locations as the pump on my 09'.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
You can't do the PS swap on the 08+. There mounting holes for the PS pump aren't there. Notching is the best option.
You mean the mounting holes for the reservoir on the strut tower? Because the pump is the same on the engine.

Regardless we're talking about which engine he can replace his with, not whether the manifold will fit it.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
This is my first time hearing this, as I thought that the 4 mounting holes for all year power steering pumps where the same, and that only the lines and resevoir were different.

Visual inspection of the 05 power steering pump that I aquired, tells me that the mounting holes are in the same locations as the pump on my 09'.
You mean the mounting holes for the reservoir on the strut tower? Because the pump is the same on the engine.

Regardless we're talking about which engine he can replace his with, not whether the manifold will fit it.
Call Vik at FSWerks, he told me the swap doesn't work on the 08+.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
I'd do the 23 swap, or a least a 23 head on the 20.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No.

The reason they say that is because the power steering on the 03-05 is different than on the 06-07 and 08-11. If you reuse your power steering pump you can use a motor from 05-07 with no computer issues. Swapping to a 2.3L will require modification including the wiring harness and computer from the donor car. 08-11 have minor differences throughout and would be obnoxious to swap, similar to what the 2.3L would have, but no gains so therefore no point.

05-07 motors will all work for you as long as its a 2.0L.
Thanks everyone for the replies. This quote above is exactly what I was looking for... thanks warneej!

The swaps/upgrades will never happen. The car is an auto daily driver for a 23 year old girl that does not care about performance or even keeping the car clean lol. If she looks at a car, the only thing she can tell you about it is what color it is. [rofl]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts