Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everybody,

I´m customizing my MTX75 tranny out of a Focus RS MK1 to longer gear ratios so I bought a Focus (90bhp) diesel tranny with 3.42 final drive ratio.

I was going to swapp the pinion ring only but this is fix with output shaft so decided to pull all gears from diesel output shaft and press the RS gears on but stuck on 2nd and 3rd gear.

They are too close together to get any tool between to hold the 3rd gear only. If I´m holding 2nd and 3rd gear together I don´t get it off the shaft even pressing 28 tons!
I cannot see a circlip between 2nd and 3rd gear. Is there something holding 2nd gear?

Pinion gear is fixed to get it off the other way.

Need advice here ...please!

Thanks
Marcel

Edit:
Focus RS MK1 gearbox from 2002-2004
Focus Diesel TC (90 bhp) gearbox 1998-2005

·
Registered
384 Posts
Unfortunately you are doing it correct. We have built about 10 mtx trannies. One set we couldn't get off using the 20 ton press. So I cut the gear shaft length wise, until it popped.

Why didnt you just swap over the the complete input and output shaft from the 3.42 and put the 3.42 ring on your diff.?

Question for you, is there a mtx-75 in the U.K. that runs a 4.25 ish final drive. We are stuck with the Ford 4.06 and the Mfactory 4.75 as our options

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately you are doing it correct. We have built about 10 mtx trannies. One set we couldn't get off using the 20 ton press. So I cut the gear shaft length wise, until it popped.

Why didnt you just swap over the the complete input and output shaft from the 3.42 and put the 3.42 ring on your diff.?

Question for you, is there a mtx-75 in the U.K. that runs a 4.25 ish final drive. We are stuck with the Ford 4.06 and the Mfactory 4.75 as our options
Thanks for your reply Woundup7,

I did swap whole internals of 90 bhp diesel box including crown wheel of diff but I didn´t reckon the different length of input shafts.
The input shaft of the diesel tranny is about 15mm shorter than the input shaft of RS tranny why it doesn´t close up with teeth of friction plate (just went up to the half of it). Not good if you drive big bhp.

So we swapped 4th and 5th gear of diesel tranny over to the RS shafts and kept the final drive ratio of the RS which is 3.56.

Genuine Ford f/d ratios are: 3.41 ; 3.56 ; 3.82 ; 4.06
Quaife does some (straight cut?) output shafts with crown wheel, also 4.25:

---https://shop.quaife.co.uk/ford-mtx75-additional-final-drive-ratio---

Regards,
Marcel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts