Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May be taking a bigger bite than I want to, but if I find out all I can right now, I think I'll be better prepared or even turned down from my idea. So here it is:

Currently I have a stock 2002 SE with the 2.0L SPI and manual IB5 transmission. They both have about 107K miles on them right now, so in a couple years or so, I'd like to put a 2002 Taurus 3.0L V6 engine in it, and I don't even know what to ask about a compatible transmission.

So first of all, I started looking and found quite a few engines with various miles on them, the lowest being about 36K for a good condition one... and I was pleased with the cheaper price of about $750 plus free shipping (that shipping could really make a difference, I guess).

Hopefully I will eventually, but as of now, I really don't have any experience with doing anything to the engine or transmission, so I hope I can ask all the right questions.

Next I'd like to know if it's best to just completely strip the whole engine compartment, then put it all back in after the new engine is in.

Would I need to do any fabrication, like move the positions for motor mounts, hoses, air intake (yeah really, I want to use my soon to come Volant for my SPI) battery....all that good stuff.

Now, the header(s), down pipe, cat, exhaust system ( I'd really love to keep my SS magnaflow that I'm putting on next week)

The transmission......blech. I've got no ideas, this is probably the most trouble I can come across with doing a swap, at least for now. has anyone done a V6 swap in their sedan? can you use the IB5 (I'm sure you can't, but I have to ask) or will the MTX75 fit... or am I just completely off track and need to get like a manual one from the Taurus (do they even make those??).

The computers. Now I know that almost all of the car's functions are computer controlled, so will I have any issues with the ECU or MAF, and get a bunch of DTC's? (trouble codes) emissions issues even? like screwed up O2 sensors and all that? maybe PATS getting screwed up?

I may think of a few more questions, but as for now, I think that's about all I can think of. [confused]

Hopefully you guys/gals that have done swaps can guide me along here..... and so that someone else who may be thinking the same thing can figure it all out. [loveff] [:D]

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
mkay... so im doing a Contour SVT motor swap into my ZX3.

i used to have a Zetec and an automatic...

you're gonna have to make custom motor mounts... do custom wiring... custom power steering, AC, and coolant lines... and you'll have to get the right manual trans for that 3.0L

i'd talk to the Contour guys who do the 3L swaps.. .they'd know... cause then you're basically doing my swap... and then their swap...

it can be done.. but its gonna take time, and be pretty expensive... esp. when you realize all the little things you gotta do... and yes you need the Taurus ECU and it better be from a car that has the same kind of key as the focus.. otherwise you'll have to bypass PATS.

any other questions PM me or just ask...

also feel free to check out my proj. log in this forum section.

·
Sneeze
10,828 Posts
He's trying to do the Taurus 3.0L swap, not the conti 3.0L swap. I'm assuming this will be similar to the SHO swap (seeing as SHO's were taurus's) Isn't this swap the one that required frame rail modification?

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no, from what I understand, the SHO is a totally different engine... yeah it would be expensive, but I think (in my opinion, which who knows, maybe I'll change my mind) I want to pretty much renew the whole thing... so it would be cheaper than a whole new car at least, and if I have to make payments, it's not for as much, plus I get experience.... not to mention I finally figured out what I wanted to do, which is like a mechanic or something, but I'd love to own a shop.... oops off track a bit. I'll try the contour guys, and find like a Taurus Forums as well... heh at least I have access to a Taurus; my grandma owns one that's the same year as mine, and almost the same color. [:D]

·
Registered
26 Posts
The MTX-75 from a V6 Contour will bolt up to a 3L Duratec from a Taurus. I know because I have one in my CSVT :)

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The MTX-75 from a V6 Contour will bolt up to a 3L Duratec from a Taurus. I know because I have one in my CSVT :)
oh cool, now I've got some sort of idea [thumb]

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
know what? I just had another thought..... would a Focus SVT engine fit in there with minimal modification? [:)]

·
Sneeze
10,828 Posts
yes. putting a focus motor into a focus would be very simple lol

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes. putting a focus motor into a focus would be very simple lol
lol hey, it's good to know! I wasn't sure if SVTf's have engine bays that differ lol... motor mounts are different I'm sure, but probably a more worthwhile investment as compared to just a 3.0L V6... but I don't know, I haven't checked the actual output of those lol

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the SVT swap would be alot easier and then you can do the whole SVT swap bumber brakes wheels would have one of a few SVT sedans
hey, yeah! thus completing my Foci's theme of "Gold SVT Sedan" I started thinking of that a couple weeks ago, what a way to truly be SVT! haha lol
workin on prices, but gotta do homework first [thumb]

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wheels and bumper at fordracing.com and suspension and i think brakes too
yeah definitely.... only the interior would be custom... black top half of dash, dark gray lower half... black console, lower part of armrest gray, top part black... silver instrument cluster (idk, part with the radio and climate control)... silver frame thingy that goes around the speedo and warning lights... silver door handle caps (on the inside that is) black door trim, with maybe that little pad behind the handle painted gray... rewrapped car seats (maybe even leather :D) but with black down the sides and gray down the middle... same with the back..... then black carpet, and possibly keeping same color for top half of pillars and headliner, or making them all black...... maybe even an SVT steering wheel, mine doesn't look that great.... front bumper, painted gold of course, with yellow fogs... Spider projector headlights (black)... SVT 2003 Euro appearance pkg. wheels... SVTf engine.... MTX-75 tranny (if it'll fit).... roush suspension set (or something like that).... and of course, whatever else I missed lol. edit: just realized there was more lol: SVT handbrake, SVT air snorkel, and SVT air intake box (or volant, whichever I get and if it fits it)... and Focus Sedan's OEM rear spoiler [thumb]

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol yeah I know, I kinda lost focus there for a second, but that would be so sweet..... and off topic, but I really don't wanna start another thread..... do you think it would look ok if I painted my mirror caps, just the same color as my car? I'm patching the bumper next weekend, and I'll have some paint left over, so I thought maybe I'd do that

1 - 15 of 15 Posts