Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Swap 2K Trans with 08’-11’ trans?

1K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  crazedfox 
#1 ·
Ok, I have a 2000 4-D sedan, Zetec with the 4f27e trans.
Is it possible to swap in a 4f27e from a 2008-11 focus?
If it’s possible to do, will there be any wiring/plug mating issues?
Will the 2000’s computer talk just the same to the 2008-11 trans?
_

#6 ·
It’d be good if any folk know if this is possible.
-
Don’t like the idea of spending the day of pulling a Zetec 4F27E & a Duratec 4F27E then disassembling them to see what part’s interchange.

Maybe, if I had a garage & couple friends to do this with.
But it just be a tedious task by oneself.

#8 ·
id recommend an engine hoist and pulling the whole thing out of the car. I can tell you the shift plate things and trans mount (not the rubber deal the three bolt piece that goes into the rubber one) are interchangeable.

source: im using the 08-11 trans shift plate, 08-11 shifter cables and 08-11 shifter on my car currently. '00 SE Zetec.
I can look at the trans outside of my car tomorrow and let you know if the bellhousing on your '00 is removable. the rest is up to you tho...

i'd venture to say that the odds of it working are probably higher than the odds of it not working, the choice of experimenting is up to you

#10 ·
Aside from the differential & final drive gears. ( to which I’m leaving alone.)
I’m wondering what tools I’ll need to do a general overhaul/rebuild of the trans.
-
I have the rebuild manual. But I also want to get the needed tools to do this transmission job. & maybe others at later times.
-
After poring through the trans manual, it’d be possible to trade bellhousing’s.
But amounts to roughly the same work a simplified rebuild would. So I’d rather do a rebuild.

#12 ·
slow_solo_focus :
The electrical switch on the side of the trans that tells the gears is called “transaxl-range-sensor”. & the “external manual shift lever” goes over that.
-
& thanks for informing me on the shift parts needed out of 08-11’.

#19 ·
Bellhousings are different between zetec and dtec.
yes.
that’s why we were discussing the possibility of swapping bellhousing’s.
until someone proves otherwise, it looks to be a fruitless endeavor.
-
so now we’re looking towards what tools would be needed to do a basic rebuild.
& where to get them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.