Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone run one here? I did a search and the general concensus is that the 6M will pull a stock SVT and the SVT will pull an auto GT-S. Is this correct?

The GT-S seems to handle pretty damn well too, has anyone run against them in autocrossing? I'd imagine that the iratic and poor torque curve would make it difficult to run in an autocross race.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I've only heard one report on here, one poster who expressed extreme surprise that a Celica would outrun an SVT, disregarding the higher net HP, tighter gearing and lower weight [;)]

From what I can gather the 2 cars are eithin 10% of each other, much as we are with a Cooper S. Seems that most poeple can get it thru the 1/4 a few ticks faster, and I think it sticks to pavement better. I personally hold the GTS in high regard, its light, the gearing is supposed to be super-tight, and the engine is rev-happy to the extent that its barely usable around town. Makes sense that its a Yamaha-designed engine.

I wouldnt imagine the torque curve would bother you much in autoX, redline is 8k on that engine and the gearing is close, it might end up being easy to keep the revs up.

·
Registered
155 Posts
ive put bus lengths on a celica gt and about a car or so on a gts...its pretty close for me... they are a mid 15 sec car.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My friend has a GT-S and the gearing sucks. The shifter is undefined and the clutch travel is rediculouslly short. I don't know if I'd like it on a track... It does seem quick when it is in it's band but thats only 6000 to 7800.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Huh, I'm a little surprised. You mean to tell me magazine reviews arent always true?! How can this be! [eek]

Well, I still wanna find one to try, I won't get my hopes up though.

·
Registered
484 Posts
ive heard the gearing sucks too. my good friend has a 2001 gts. ive raced him in my spi andbeat him but...only because he didnt know shit on how to shift. he does now and it pulls really good at around 60. but nothing special. an svt would take on easy. a slighty modded zx3 can too

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah the shift pattern is FAR to close together and feel numb. And the clutch itself is not smooth and is difficult to launch properly. The engine has no power below 3000RPM either which is pretty bad considering the car only weighs 2500lbs. Above 6k, however, it feel pretty damn good!

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
they are great cars, peepy little engine to ( a good one at that cause they use it in the Lotus Elise).

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was glad to see a mag ripping on the 2zz engine in the Elise. For the price the Elise is slow and it doens't do as well on the track as people like to think it does. I think the wors they used was that the Elise's engine needs to get blown worse than Dick Cheney or something. It was pretty funny!

Back to the subject though- has anyone gone against one in autocross?

·
AAAHHHHH!!!!
4,304 Posts
Anaxagoras1986 said:
I was glad to see a mag ripping on the 2zz engine in the Elise. For the price the Elise is slow and it doens't do as well on the track as people like to think it does. I think the wors they used was that the Elise's engine needs to get blown worse than Dick Cheney or something. It was pretty funny!

straight line speed is not the point of the lotus. the first elise only had 118hp and was regarded as one of the best sports cars of the 90s. the lotus elise is the purest production sports car that you can buy, with no exceptions (cant really count the ariel atom or catheram).

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
never seen one at our autocrosses, but there are two Elises and they are no slouch on the course.

There is a kid that rips through our neighborhood all the time in a celica...not sure if it is a GT or GTS....but i would love to spank him

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It handles well but if you see them line up against the likes of a Vette, Boxster, etc they usually loose on the race track. And the damn thing is rediculously expensive. Also when you see them compraed against the Vette they always use RACE compound tires whereas the Vette is using street tires. Putting race compound tires on it's competition would really dethrone the Elise.

·
AAAHHHHH!!!!
4,304 Posts
Anaxagoras1986 said:
It handles well but if you see them line up against the likes of a Vette, Boxster, etc they usually loose on the race track. And the damn thing is rediculously expensive. Also when you see them compraed against the Vette they always use RACE compound tires whereas the Vette is using street tires. Putting race compound tires on it's competition would really dethrone the Elise.
depends on how fast the track is. sure, if the track is made up of long straights and sweepers then the elise would be beaten by the superior horsepower of the vette or porsche but on a tight and twisty track it would be very close (depending on driver skill). oh, and the elise is in the same autocross class as the porsche gt3 and z06. they are not ridicously expensive. a base model elise costs just over 40k. tell me when the last time was that you saw a new porsche for that price.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I never had a chance to race a celica gt-s yet. always wanted to see what my car and do against them.....oh i dont have a SVT

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
In the lotus the gearing is better than in the celica so it can keep the car in the sweet spot alot better. The celica is like our SVT 6 gears and you would figure they be close right.....NOPE!! The cars are autocrossers just like the SVT. Imagine how the Matrix or Vibe feels like driving around town with that TQ less motor in it. Thats the only reson I have not bought one was because of the gearing.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
My friend's GTS feels like it is geared ALOT lower than our 6 speeds. It might just be the smaller 16" wheels though I don't know...

And comparing the Lotus to the Porsche from a value perspective is kinda crazy. The Porsche is a beautiful car that is very luxurious and is more car than the Lotus Elise. Yes I know that wasn't what the Lotus was designed to be like but the Porsche is, in my eyes, a very good VALUE. As an owner of a classic and driver of the new ones I can verify that they are some of THE highest quality cars you can buy. And if maintained or watched properly they are also extremely reliable- contrary to what people like to think about them. Even my old school baby still handles better than 99% of the cars that I have been in. The only car that I have been in that feels as confident and smooth in a hard turn is a FFR Cobra which is in a class of it's own.

The Lotus is a stripped out go-kart that handles like it is on rails and still has enough power to push it along pretty damn quickly and beat the hell out of you if you even look at a bump in the road. The Porsche is a very luxurious CAR that handles like it is on rails and has enough power to embarass 60s Muscle cars and has a firm but not jarring ride. Yes it costs more than the Elise, and yes the Elise can keep up in tight lower speed corners but the Porsche can race while still being a perfect DD which is something the Elise could never dream to do.

·
AAAHHHHH!!!!
4,304 Posts
if you want a daily driver though, why not just buy an audi. the elise does make a better track car as far as value is concerned. the light weight of the elise allows it to go further on brake pads and tires than the porsche would be able to. some would argue (myself included) that sports cars should not be very luxurious and that you should be the one driving the car instead of the traction control program. dont get me wrong, i have always liked porsches and i always will, but for pure excitement and driving pleasure i would take the elise over any current production porsche(unless of course we are talking gt3).

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your right about the value for a track car- if it is a turn key that your looking for although you can pick up turn key FFR Cobras for that price and it would run circles around the Elise on almost any track.

I agree with the beauty of a pure bred sports car without TC or SC and in that case, the FFR beats the Elise again for pure race-car feel. Still, I can't argue with you against the Elise being a good car for a sports car purist, I just don't have enough money to buy two dream cars :p

·
Registered
958 Posts
i look at it that u can buy 2 elises for about the price of one porsche 911...does the 911 perform twice as well as the elise? i doubt it...im not saying that the elise is the best car in the world, im just saying that they are fairly cheap and they perform fairly well...and at the end of the day...are you really using all 300+ hp/tq to turn a corner that can be taken at most at 40 mph...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts