Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I get this damn thing to seal?

I've tried a brand new gasket (Fel-Pro). TQ'd it properly. Applied grey RTV. Removed grey and applied black RTV. The SOB has always leaked in the same spot, front PS corner ... which if you look at the head the edge of the head is short and the gasket hangs over some.
Buddy of mine suggested making a little metal block to bolt in there and fill the gap. But I'm not sure that'll cure the leak.

I see few years back bsir[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]* suggested copper spray and black at the corners. I'll try that being it's the only thing I haven't tried.

But I want an end all cure all solution to this, please.

·
FF Affiliate
31,162 Posts
When you TQ the bolts down its pre set how far they will go down , shorten the stops that pre set how far it TQ`s down and that should help or it does on the ones I run into

Tom

·
Registered
216 Posts
What I did to fix mine was remove it and carefully examine the top gasket contact surface on the head. It is quite roughly machined (milled).

So I took a fine file and carefully removed the high spots and the peaks left from the machining process. At the same time I got rid of any dings and scratches.

After that, no leaks.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I installed a new Fel-Pro gasket last weekend and no leaks so far.
I made sure it was properly seated in the valve cover channel and when tightening the bolts I chris crossed the pattern and did only a few turns on each bolt until they were seated all the way. Took a while, had patience for once so it seemed to help...I installed the new grommets on all the bolts as well...

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it was sorta fine since I'd posted this thread. I used copper and black RTV. It's not leaking where it was before, it found a new spot. SOB!

But if you'll theorize with me for a second,
It always leaks from the front, never the back.
If you notice the breather is on the back side. The front is vented through the bottom end of the engine, which goes out the PCV.

Lets say I have more blow-by at higher RPM than I should (I've checked numerous times at cranking RPM and all's well, but you can't test at high RPM, so ...).
The front cannot vent through the VC breather as they are not connected at all.
So might it be an idea to add a port for the front of the VC?
Or would getting rid of the stock separator/PCV and using a larger vent be sufficient?

But both these options are a temp/bandaid fix until I get my lazy ass to install the vacuum pump, which I've been saying for over 6 months now and haven't done yet ... though I did make a trial hub adapter for a pulley. Have to make a bracket to mount the damn thing still and I really don't want to put it in the only open spot. I want to put it where the P/S pump was but I can't figure a way to route the belt and clear the SVT header ... I know you guys can't visualize that, I'm just thinking outloud.
But if I go with a Contour W/P and re route the belt in the short path I think I can fit it where I want and get rid of the ugly P/S pump bracket on one swoop. Which is what I should do. A belt setup like the Caterhams use.

·
FF Affiliate
31,162 Posts
What do you mean the front of the VC cant vent out the back of the VC where the breather is ? Sure it does the head is open all arount the springs and through out the head

Caterham also uses a diff alt , brackets etc

Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts