Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
I don't think that is their website. Should be RotaWheels.com.

It would be best if you tested with brand new brake pads.

·
Registered
744 Posts
What size of tire are you going to run? That said, what will your tire's diameter be after going to a smaller wheel and (??) a lower profile tire?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BadIdea said:
I don't think that is their website. Should be RotaWheels.com.

It would be best if you tested with brand new brake pads.
Not to be a dick or anything, but clicking the link clearly takes you to rotas site and directly to the wheel in question. If you want to go to the site everyone see's, it IS rotawheels.com - if you want to be able to check and see exactly whats in stock, different colors, etc. you go to rotawheel.com!

I also have brand new pads, not even 500 miles on em...

·
Registered
272 Posts
I didn't think that the 15s would fit on an SVT. I know it's not an issue with the regular Foci, but with the 300mm rotors I thiink you're in for problems. I like the wheels though, they remind me of the mini-lites I used to see on a lot of auto-x cars in the 80s. BTW, if they don't fit what would you want for them?[;)]

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If you had an SVT and kept up with SVTs you'd know we have been testing a few 15" wheels to a degree of success. 15" Team Dynamics P1's fit...we are looking at other options...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Maybe it's my browser, but rotawheel.com looks like ass and none of the little applets work. My first guess is scam. Sorry for bringing it up.

Pads make a huge difference. As they wear, the caliper moves in towards the rotor allowing some 15's to fit.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Moved to: "Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension"

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jaykirs...

I wanted this in the SVTF section as it pertains to SVTs. Now a thousand non-svt guys will come in saying they dont think it'll work. I'd like to keep it there for a specific reason.

...either that or edit the title to say SVTs using 15" wheels...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i have put 15's on my car personally, at a autocross event. the only issue was that the counterweight

·
Registered
272 Posts
Mike1, first I am so sorry that I don't own an SVT, maybe you can front me the extra cash to pick up a 5 door at a reasonable price. Second, when I was researching the previously mentioned 5 dr the SVT dealer told me that my 15 inch winter rims would not fit due to clearance issues with the front calipers. Silly me for thinking that the people who sell the damn things would know what they are talking about. My bad.
*end of rant*
I appreciate what you are trying to do and I was only trying to help. I'd hate to have someone blow a wad of cash on something that doesn't work. I'm glad you're out there pushing the limits and that when the time comes I might benefit from the experience.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I own a SVT, i am wondering, why would you want smaller wheels? Is this an Auto cross thing? Please explain. Thanks

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Ncslavens, wheels represent a larger portion of the total weight of the mounted wheel and tire on the axle. I think those TD P1's in 15x7 weigh a little over 13lbs, compared with the stock 17's 21lbs+. Because of extra sidewall, a same-height 15" tire will weigh more, but more of the mass is concentrated in the tread, so the difference is not extreme.

Basically you can get the weight of the whole wheel and tire package down lighter the smaller wheel you can fit, and unspung mass has a much greater affect on the car than sprung. It (generally) makes a bigger difference in straight line speed, but there would be benefits in autoX to offset the extra sidewall flex.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Will performance be increased with smaller wheels, assuming you use low profile Z rated tires?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Using 15's allows for more options with drag slicks. Not a whole lot of 17" slicks out there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts