Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of transmission comes in the '03 SVTF? Is it fairly stout?

What type of security system comes in the SVTF? How do you arm it? I tried locking my car today with the keyless entry remote and then I opened the door and nothing went off. Is something wrong?

I'm asking these questions since the dealer didn't have an owner's manual and had to order me one. Who knows how long that's going to take to arrive. [???:)]

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
I'm not down too much with the technical stuff however I'll give it a shot. The transmission is a German built Getrag 6-speed. IMO it's quite choice and has very sweet gearing. Also I consider it to be tough enough for the car it was put into, I have no concerns. One thing that I never liked about the car is the clutch. The clutch and dual mass flywheel they optioned our cars with are horrible and I have since had mine replaced under TSB with what is supposed to be a better parts group. I Don't know if it is as I will not get back into the car until December for an evaluation.

The anti theft system isn't really an alarm. It locks the ignition and door locks and that's about it. It has a panic function operated from the remote. It is not a perimeter security type of alarm or anything cool. Just the PATS (passive anti theft system).

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ugh... so that means instead of setting up the car to have the horn sound and the lights flashed, Ford just said "eh.. screw it" and didn't put any type of alarm on it. It's nice knowing that someone could break my window, open my door, and steal my stuff and my car wouldn't even make a sound. That's unacceptable for a car made in 2003. [rolleyes]

I had a '97 Jeep and it even had an alarm. That's freaking cheap that is doesn't even sound the horn in the event of a break in (ie door being opened when armed, etc..) It doesn't have to be a motion/perimeter sensing system. Ugh... that's super super irritating. I should bitch at SVT for being a bunch of cheap asses. Oh wait, they're broke anyway so I guess that wouldn't do much good. They probably couldn't budget the extra two seconds of work it'd take an engineer to program an alarm code. [?|] [?|] [?|] [mad] [mad] [mad]

Rant Off[mad]

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
car alarm

BCESVT1 said:
Ugh... so that means instead of setting up the car to have the horn sound and the lights flashed, Ford just said "eh.. screw it" and didn't put any type of alarm on it. It's nice knowing that someone could break my window, open my door, and steal my stuff and my car wouldn't even make a sound. That's unacceptable for a car made in 2003. [rolleyes]

I had a '97 Jeep and it even had an alarm. That's freaking cheap that is doesn't even sound the horn in the event of a break in (ie door being opened when armed, etc..) It doesn't have to be a motion/perimeter sensing system. Ugh... that's super super irritating. I should bitch at SVT for being a bunch of cheap asses. Oh wait, they're broke anyway so I guess that wouldn't do much good. They probably couldn't budget the extra two seconds of work it'd take an engineer to program an alarm code. [?|] [?|] [?|] [mad] [mad] [mad]

Rant Off[mad]
I think that car alarms are a good idea gone bad. They go off so often that at least where I live (which isn't even city) that no one even looks anymore. The best idea I've heard is of a car alarm that pages your "beeper" - I can't remember whether it's a special beeper just for the alarm or if it's a standard beeper. That way at least you can respond to your own alarm, no one else will.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"Ugh... so that means instead of setting up the car to have the horn sound and the lights flashed, Ford just said "eh.. screw it" and didn't put any type of alarm on it. It's nice knowing that someone could break my window, open my door, and steal my stuff and my car wouldn't even make a sound. That's unacceptable for a car made in 2003"

My BMW 2004 Z4 didn't (and still doesn't) come with an alarm either. So I guess you won't be buying a BMW very soon, huh?

At least you can get a factory alarm on the Focus for about $150. BMW does not offer an alarm as a factory option on the Z4, only as an aftermarket accessory.

Since the Focus is Ford's lowest price point entry model, I can't fault them for making the alarm system optional, particularly since so many people dislike factory alarms and add non-OEM alarms, to get all the bells and whistles, in any case.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Not sure if I like the gearing in the trans. First gear goes halfway to the moon and sixth still isn't an overdrive. I guess that is why it is a "close" ratio box.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I agree with the earlier post. No one pays attention to alarms anymore anyway. Your best option is to clean your car out and don't leave your stuff in it.

Most insurance companies won't cover loose items laying around in your car being stolen anyway. Had a car broken into once - stereo/ cd case full of 30 cd's/ leather jacket stolen. Insurance said the car was not a proper storage facility for the cd case and leather jacket.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"That's freaking cheap that is doesn't even sound the horn in the event of a break in (ie door being opened when armed, etc..) "

The BMW Z4 also does not come with an alarm.

I guess they are freaking cheap as well, but the Z4 surely isn't.

·
Michael J. Caboose
6,512 Posts
heh...how's this for an alarm?

This is an actual alarm that can be installed in an automobile, how sweet would this thing be in our SVTF? [:D]

·
Michael J. Caboose
6,512 Posts
lol...here's another one for ya'll..

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The fact of the matter is, with today's technology, no car should come without some sort of factory alarm. I bought a car back in '97 with a factory alarm. So you're saying I could go do the dealer and pay $150 and have install an alarm? It's probably just a matter of activating it within the computer.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"So you're saying I could go do the dealer and pay $150 and have install an alarm?"

No, I'm saying when you order a Focus, you can specify an optional alrm for $150.

And it is NOT a case fo simply activating it with a computer.

As I said, $45,000 BMW Z4s do not come with facotry alarms. They are not even available as a factory option and must be dealer installed. At least with a new Focus it is available as a factory option.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
You could probably get them to install the "Perimeter alarm" option after the fact (like now) if you really wanted it. Or you could go to a local alarm shop and get one of their models instead.

I agree, I pay zero attention to car alarms because when I used to, it was someone accidentally opening their own car forgetting it was activated, or it was fireworks, or something else. It was never a car being attacked or robbed. I wouldn't want all cars to come with alarms because a) you're paying for it in the cost of the vehicle, even if you don't want it and b) then there's more cars with blaring alarms all over. Ack.

If it makes you feel better the PATS system makes it extremely hard to turn on the car without the key, so they can't make off with the entire vehicle. Just don't keep mega-expensive stuf fin your car, tint the windows to hide peeking eyes...[?]

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by penguin As I said, $45,000 BMW Z4s do not come with facotry alarms. [/B]
I'd never pay $45,000 for a car that didn't have an alarm. It had better come with a chunk of gold for that kind of money.

To each his own I guess.

Oh well...

I have no choice but to deal with it because I really don't like spending more money on the car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts