Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the rear brakes on my SVTF are grinding....YEY!

I just wanted to know if anybody has replaced the rear brakes and and rotors on their svtf and if it is just a straight forword job like the fronts or is there something special due to having abs and the emergency brake.

I've done plenty of brake jobs in my days, just not any thing like these. I just want to make sure before i tear into it.

Thanx, Mike

sorry if this is in the wrong spot, please move if needed.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I did mine a couple months ago,rotors and pads. The caliper piston is turned in not pushed in because of the E-brake adjusting. Be sure the caliper slides freely, the passenger side had a little rust in it and burned up the first pads.Its realy not that bad a job.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i thinks its just as easy as the front, even with the parking brake it's pretty straight forward, just did mine with a brake line change too

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did mine a couple months ago,rotors and pads. The caliper piston is turned in not pushed in because of the E-brake adjusting. Be sure the caliper slides freely, the passenger side had a little rust in it and burned up the first pads.Its realy not that bad a job.
Just about to start doing mine, what do you mean by 'turned in'? Like you'd use a wrench instead of a c-clamp?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
No wrench, the piston is slotted, a wide slot, I found a cheap pair of pliers that fit nicely. there is a gap in the middle of the slot so just hold them open the right amount, the piston should turn easily.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Looks like the tool works on different size pistons, does it cost much?

This is the first car I've owned to wear out rear brakes before the fronts, anybody else find this true?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the help!!!!!!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
wow, i didn't use any special tool, I unhooked everything, removed the caliper and pushed the piston back in with my hands, yeah brake fluid came out everywhere but I replacing lines and doing a flush anyways...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts