Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting an SVT MAF i'm planning to use it on my Zetec Focus, i know it's impossible with out PCM calibration, but what if i just use the housing? Swap the MAF housing with my stock MAF, is is possible? Will it work? Since the SVT Housing is larger in diamitter.

Thanks in advance!
[thumb]

·
Registered
384 Posts
Nope, i tried it, it was not happy, stock maf stays in stock maf housing. Anything else requires calibration.

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really, crap! what happend? Is the swap doable? i mean, did the Stock MAF fit in the SVT MAF housing?

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
if you change the size of the housing is just like useing the SVTF maf. the stock maf is calibrated for its size housing any change in diameter of the housing will require calibration no way around it. Just like using one from a mustang or any other car it will require calibration because it alters what the computer is programed for.

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahhh, damn! I thought i could just swap, plug and play! So calibrating the PCM, can be done by a tune?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Why would a larger MAF make a noticible improvement? As far as I know, the MAF sensors main purpose is to allow the PCM to calibrate injector pulse. Would a bigger sensor be more "sensitive?"

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
you just need the MAF to be calibrated for your size injectors don't ask me how this is done I have no idea. Or the computer calibrated I forget which ether way it needs to be done there is no plug in play without it being made for you car somehow.

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, sucks for me. Guess i could save it and probably use it when i go FI ...(??)

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
The MAF housing on the SVT is larger, which allows more unmetered air to pass through... which causes you to go lean.... without a proper tune.

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just noticed the how the MAF is assembled on a AEM Cold air intake, you have to remove the MAF from the housing and place it on the tubing on the CAI, isn't that larger in diamitter also?

·
Registered
384 Posts
03OrangeSVT said:
The MAF housing on the SVT is larger, which allows more unmetered air to pass through... which causes you to go lean.... without a proper tune.
Acutally i dont think it is larger. I think the piping is the same diameter as the stock maf housing. i will metion that i got the car to run on the svt maf housing and it was running very strong and fast till it hit what feels liek fuel cut and shut down. And ideling?....you can forget about that. Stock maf housing isnt a restriction to speak of.

·
FF Bouncer
3,178 Posts
I'll be putting on the SVT MAF Tube on my Zetec as this is where the last intake 'bottleneck' is. I've asked Ray at McNewsAutomotive.com if he could do the tune for it and he said that he would be able to calibrate my X-Cal2 for it. I'll be using my stock harness which will be in the bigger svt maf tube. I don't really care if I make any hp gain from it, but I would just like to have it because it's the only place where I have a bottleneck now. Everything else is pretty much uniform (65mm or similar). Yes, the Zetec MAF Harness can fit into the SVT MAF Tube and yes it is bigger than the stock tube.

Cheers!

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's exactly what i want, Thanks Phoenix! Think i'll hit McNews.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts